• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have never owned an automatic shotgun and never seen a need to get one. I've had my trusty 870 pump for 25 years and always figured I would never need another shotgun. Then I recently picked up a Beretta Extrema II! It felt so natural that I now feel a need to have one. Is this just a passing phase or am I permanently stricken? Has anyone had any bad experiences with one? How can I explain the need for another shotgun to my wife? Any tips?

Don't have an Extrema, but can tell you this as an "870 to auto" convert... you will love the change. I used my 870 Wingmaster for 12 years, and my Dad's 870 and Model 12 before that. Once I changed to the auto (a Gold) it has been great. That third shot is no longer a desperation shot, but a kill shot, and I like it tons better. That Extrema is a darned nice shotgun.

Tell your wife that the new shotgun will be passed on to your sons or daughters in the future, and that you always need a spare shotgun so that trips are not ruined if something happens.

When that fails, tell her you LOVE her, and that you will do dishes for the next 3 months, without fail wink That will convince her wink

Good luck!

I just bought one 2 weeks ago. My neighbor talkd me into it as he has one and really seems to like it. He hasn't ever had any issues with his. I have shot it pretty well the few times I've been out with it so far.

I like my Extrema II better than any hunting shotgun I have used. It just seems to fit me better and I have more confidence in my ability with that gun. Also, It will cycle

1 1/8 ounce loads. Now I take it to the sporting clays course for alittle practice before the duck season.

I have found that wife does not know how many guns I own. I just act like it was always here.

Can't really comment on the Extrema II myself, but I've heard they are a great gun.

As for the wife, just tell her your 870 is worn out and getting to the point that it's almost unsafe to shoot.

"Honey, I need a reliable gun that won't fire accidently....like this one!!" (This is when you pull the extrema out of the closet!)

Thanks for all the good advice - especially about how to handle the situation with my wife - lots of different approaches. It gets a little complicated in spending the money on a new gun right now (the dishwasher broke, we need new carpet and my wife looks like she may get laid off next month) but I went to Gander last night and the Extrema II went to the shoulder just as smooth. I did leave the gun at the store last night and bought a "Duckmen" video instead - boy do those guys drop ducks with their autoloaders!

All I got to say is Benelli SBE II. Best gun out their, some say it was made by a god, i wouldn't doubt it darn good gun!! And those "Autoloaders" those Duckmen were useing were Beneli's. Just look into those as well. they are a little lighter, pull up better for me.

I agree with vexilarman, The extrema seems that it would be too heavy. The benelli's shoulder better for me. I work at a gander mountain, and we have sold alot more SBE II than we have Extrema II. Just take a look at them as well and buy whatever gun fits you better.

Keep in mind the duckmen are either getting those guns free or they are getting paid to use them.

Benelli is a very good gun, just way overpriced.

Beretta is a very good gun as well, just way overpriced.

It's another one of those things where you pay for the name.

Last but not least it's the shooter that makes the gun not the gun that makes the shooter.

Having shot both an SBE II and an Xtrema 2, I will tell you that they are both excellent firearms. I feel deadly with either, whether in the marsh or on the clays course. Either will function flawlessly if you keep it clean.

You will love the auto.

Well I have shot an Extrema II before, but never owned one. Well that changed this weekend, my wife gave me one as a wedding present to me!!!! Now I have the gun I always wanted!! Cannot let her go after this gift laugh I am very excited to use it this season, it will be a big change for me because I have been shooting an pump since I was 10. I do not think you would be disappointed in the purchase.