• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Removing rust from boat carpet

Wish-I-Were-Fishn

Question

Anyone know of a good carpet cleaner to remove rust? I camped at Voyageur's Park and had the coolers in the bear box. The bear box was rusty and the coolers transfered the rust into my boat carpet.

I've even thought about calling a carpet cleaner to clean the boat. I would think if I met them with the boat at a location they were already cleaning, it might not cost that much since they would already be setup.

3 answers to this question

A mild detergent, such as dish detergent, (one containing no alkalis) is a good stain remover and is gentle on your carpet. Gently blot into the stain using a sponge or cloth. Don’t frantically rub at the stain as this will only cause the stain to spread and may weaken the fibers to boot. Rinse the sponge and blot with cool clean water.

Here are some inexpensive home remedies that also work for removing rust:

- Lemon juice mixed with a little salt will clean, freshen and brighten. Spray directly onto the carpet and let sit for a few hours. Afterwards, blot with a cool damp cloth.

- Make a paste of cream of tarter and water. Apply directly to the stain and let sit. Clean off with a damp sponge.

- Pour vinegar directly onto the carpet and let sit. After a couple of hours wipe with a damp cloth.

If none of these removal methods work, you have a couple of other options. The first is to go to your hardware store or supermarket and scan the shelves for appropriate rust removal agents. Before purchasing, be sure the product isn’t going to ruin your particular type of carpet. No matter what the label tells you, test some of the product first on a hidden area of your carpet. (Behind a wall unit, a closet floor or under furniture is probably your best bet.) Follow the instructions accordingly.

There's a trigger spray bottle product by The Works that is for rust removal in tubs and sinks and toilet bowls that they advertise as being useful on textiles...same thing goes as the others have said though--test it in an inconspicuous area first. The key ingredient is Oxalic Acid. This stuff is a must have if you have well water in MN in my opinion.