Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MN Shutterbug

Flowers, bugs and a bird.

11 posts in this topic

I've been in a bit of a photo rut lately. I just can't seem to find much to shoot these days. Other than birds, there isn't much for wildlife in these parts, and most birds have cleared out. I know, I have tunnel vision. I guess I need to expand my photographic horizons.

I took a very short walk yesterday at the park, and took my good old time and looked for anything interesting, other than stationary subjects. After shooting these bugs, I stopped by some trees near a bluebird box and played my screech owl call. A bluebird flew out of the box immediately and hid in a nearby tree, to keep an eye on me. I then heard a bird sound unfamiliar to me. I looked for the source of the sound, and the woodpecker showed himself. My first thought was that I had never heard a woodpecker make that sound. I then realized it wasn't a downy or hairy, partly due to the red throat. I just wished I had decent lighting. But then, it was 2:30 in the afternoon with high sun behind the bird. Some times, crappy lighting or not, you take what you get. As soon as I got home, I referenced my bird book and found it was a Yellow - bellied Sapsucker, another first.

2634734003_2da21521d7_o.jpg

2635558554_9979ce2817_o.jpg

2634734253_939b8af74a_o.jpg

2634734365_45ff28e6e5_o.jpg

2634734163_5576742c10_o.jpg

Looks like you had a good day. I really like #3

Neat stuff, Mike. I especially like the second dragonfly image. It's a striking male 12-spotted skimmer. Very nice perch and cool BG bokeh. The first is an immature widow skimmer.

And I think the light on the sapsucker works just fine because he's shaded.

Thanks for getting out of your rut and making some fine images. We miss them in here. grin

Thanks Deedee and Steve.

I assumed I would get some ID on the bugs, from Steve. I do OK with birds, but I've never taken the time to really learn too many insects. It's nice to know what they actually are.

Steve, you really are a nature boy. smile The sharing of your knowledge is appreciated.

The second dragonfly has a familiar pose to me.

IMG_3506.jpg

IMG_3510.jpg

Your second dragonfly stands out to me.

Those are really great X. Glad to see you back. The 2nd dragonfly and the Sapsucker are my favorites.

Nice shots X! Really like the dragonflies!

Good work! I like dragonflies, mossey's hate 'em! Numero #3 for me as well...

Love the dragon flies, good work.

I am with the rest on the second dragonfly image!

Good to see you here again X. I completely understand about the photo rut. Been having one myself lately. For me it is mostly the busy summer slowing me down. I do like that 2nd dragonfly. That is a very nice capture.