Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandmannd

The girl who silenced the world for 5 minutes

28 posts in this topic

Sounds like she's drank the Kool-Aid. She's young. In my lifetime it's been "The Coming Ice Age, El Nino, El Nina, Global warming, Oh wait that was just in the last 30 years. Hopefully when she grows up she will realize that doomsday prophets have been around since day one. They (the prophets) need no proof they just scream that the sky is falling and the world is coming to an end. When it doesn't happen, they move on to the next popular cause. Sad, very sad. Smart kid too.

Ahh yes...to be young and idealistic!! It would be interesting to see her outlook on these thing 40 years from now.

Ahh yes...to be young and idealistic!! It would be interesting to see her outlook on these thing 40 years from now.

I guess the same can be said to your response. Maybe in forty years, there will no longer be any doubt either way. I know I won't be here to say I told you so.

Originally Posted By: upnorth

I guess the same can be said to your response. Maybe in forty years, there will no longer be any doubt either way. I know I won't be here to say I told you so.

What I am getting at is that when I was 20 I was a lot more idealistic than I am now at 50. Perspective changes as a person gains more experience in life. You do not gain life experience by watching the news, reading a book or listening to someone else's opinion, you get it by living life for while keeping your eyes, ears and mind open.

It is very easy for someone who has yet to work to support herself, provide for her own family and children to talk about sharing wealth with those that have less than she sees others having. When she has to decide whether to donate money or pay her mortage, heat bill or buy food her ideals may change.

She also at this time probably fails to see that much of monies donated is sucked up in administrative costs and more often than not goes to line Fat Cats pockets in the countries and communities where it is suppose to help instead of the needy.

Climate, ozone etc, will continue to change no matter what we do, it has since the dawn of time. We may have an impact, but we have changed many things as far as pollution and wasted resources just in the last 30 years that many if not most people have just ignored. Not to mention that the earth will heal herself over time. When it comes to pollution we will never get back to the ideals of some until we are back to living in caves, these are the same fools that jet around the world preaching about pollution and waste, they should be looking to change themselves and their ways before they start preaching to the rest of us. I am sure she didn't get to this presentation on her bike.

I stopped listening when she said her and her dad couldn't fish in Ontario because all the fish have cancer.

There's nothing about global warming in this.

This is a UN conference on environment and development, and if you look closely at the date on the banner behind the speaker, it's 19something. Not sure, but looks as best as I can make out like it could be 1987.

Global warming wasn't even a gleam in the eyes of most scientists in 1987, and those few who were thinking in those terms were shouting into the wilderness at that point.

This girl's messages are simple. Be responsible stewards of the earth. Care for each other. Share our wealth with those less fortunate than us. These are the same thing Christian religions preach, that the Bible teaches.

Conservative and liberal alike say they agree with those three ideals. But of course another of her messages was that fighting each other keeps from taking the strides needed to reshape the world into a better place.

While it's typical for the young to be more idealistic than the middle-aged and elderly, I know many people now middle-aged and older who have made that girl's messages their life's work. And you don't have to have a job dedicated to those ideals in order to practice them. In small ways, every day, what we do has a direct impact on those three goals this "idealistic" girl put forth.

If this was indeed 1987, this girl is now a woman in her 30s. I wonder what she is doing today. Upnorth is right. We have made some big changes in the last 30 years. It was people like that girl who helped it happen.

Full marks to her!

Quote:
If this was indeed 1987,

I for one didn't notice the date.

Quote:
This girl's messages are simple. Be responsible stewards of the earth. Care for each other. Share our wealth with those less fortunate than us.

And I believe in those principles, but we should all make our on decisions on whether or not we will and if we do, how we do it. If it doesn't come from the heart it is meaningless!

But what put me off to her message was the shame on you attitude it carried to those that have worked hard for what they have. Those emotional pleas that try to shame people into changing their ideas to theirs turn me away immediately. I don't like it when people try to manipulate me by playing my feelings. When they do they lose me at the beginning.

But what put me off to her message was the shame on you attitude it carried to those that have worked hard for what they have. Those emotional pleas that try to shame people into changing their ideas to theirs turn me away immediately. I don't like it when people try to manipulate me by playing my feelings. When they do they lose me at the beginning.

Ah, I understand. That position was absent from your first post (or I missed it), so thanks for clarifying.

It's always hard to be told we're not doing well enough, or that we are wrong. I generally don't like hearing that myself.

Originally Posted By: hayseed
Originally Posted By: upnorth

What I am getting at is that when I was 20 I was a lot more idealistic than I am now at 50. Perspective changes as a person gains more experience in life. You do not gain life experience by watching the news, reading a book or listening to someone else's opinion, you get it by living life for while keeping your eyes, ears and mind open.

It is very easy for someone who has yet to work to support herself, provide for her own family and children to talk about sharing wealth with those that have less than she sees others having. When she has to decide whether to donate money or pay her mortage, heat bill or buy food her ideals may change.

She also at this time probably fails to see that much of monies donated is sucked up in administrative costs and more often than not goes to line Fat Cats pockets in the countries and communities where it is suppose to help instead of the needy.

Climate, ozone etc, will continue to change no matter what we do, it has since the dawn of time. We may have an impact, but we have changed many things as far as pollution and wasted resources just in the last 30 years that many if not most people have just ignored. Not to mention that the earth will heal herself over time. When it comes to pollution we will never get back to the ideals of some until we are back to living in caves, these are the same fools that jet around the world preaching about pollution and waste, they should be looking to change themselves and their ways before they start preaching to the rest of us. I am sure she didn't get to this presentation on her bike.

I agree, very well said. I do think she had some valid points as well. It would be nice if all the countries could work together instead of bicker, but that won't happen because people in the US can't even see eye to eye and it's way out of control. I don't remember the high amount of disrespect and hatred that goes on now days when I was growing up. The thing about fish with cancer is dumb, but she was a kid. I think she did a good thing by getting up there though.

Quote:
I don't remember the high amount of disrespect and hatred that goes on now days when I was growing up.

I guess you just missed the sixties Sand grin

I can agree it took some guts to get up there and make that statement and I surely don't fault her for doing what she did.

Idealistic or not these are things that need to be said and not swept under the rug. Without the stewards of this land I guarantee the USA would look worse than China does now. I am grateful for these stewards because I really dont like fishing in paluted algae infested waters. though I dont agree with the extremes they want us to adhere to but we can say no to that and reap the benefits from the stuff that we agree on.

Maybe I'm Idealistic to and being at a young age of 42 I to dont believe in turning my back on humanitarian needs. As it was stated these du gooder coperations eat up a lot of the money that is donated, witch is incredibly wrong, but without them the good they do would not get done. Some of these corperation are no wosrt than the red cross or the salvation army and without the good they do where would we be.

Quote:
Maybe I'm Idealistic to and being at a young age of 42 I to dont believe in turning my back on humanitarian needs. As it was stated these du gooder coperations eat up a lot of the money that is donated, witch is incredibly wrong, but without them the good they do would not get done. Some of these corperation are no wosrt than the red cross or the salvation army and without the good they do where would we be.

We are all a little idealistic, but most temper that idealism with reality as they grow older. I used to donate money on a regular basis(deducted from my check) but as I learned more of it was going to administration etc, I quit that. Now, the organization I work for replaces PCs on a 3 year basis, I take a good portion of these junk PCs rebuild them and give them to commmunity centers, low income families, limited income retirees, I even loaded up my truck with pile of PCs and monitors and brought them to an Indian Reservation for the kids in their community centers. I donate to the food shelf and the local clothes closet. I have also built a few Custom Rods to be raffled off for local charities or to help with someones huge medical bills. Our dept at work does the adopt a family thing at Xmas time and I throw a large sum of money into the pot so that the kids will get a few nice presents and a good meal for Xmas.

I still do things to help others that have less, but the things I do go directly to them instead of providing income to an administrator make some large $$$ and most charities pay their admin folks pretty well and I would rather my money not go to there.

I agree with much of what both croixflats and upnorth say.

I do all my donations at a local level to local groups, but agree the big organizations have a lot of value.

However, the big ones have a LOT of red tape and overhead, as upnorth said.

After the Red River Flood of 1997, which emptied the communities of Grand Forks and East Grand Forks, my father, my wife, my wife's mother and daughters and I headed to the lake cabin near Bemidji. The community opened its arms to the thousands of evacuees who fled east. A church on the western edge of town became a center for donations, and people flocked there for clothing, food, personal necessities and gas vouchers.

A tremendous amount of human sharing and goodwill were generated there, and it was that way for the first several days.

Then the Red Cross came in and took over all operations. Within a couple days, the only way to get any type of aid at all was to stand in a line for hours, fill out a long application and jump through all the Red Cross admin hoops.

Many quit coming for help. Some because they were already on their feet or were heading back to try to clean up there homes, but many needy families who were sick at heart from losing everything they owned to the flood just gave up. Not only in Bemidji, but in several other communities.

The Salvation Army, by contrast, did all the Red Cross did but with very little red tape. We were so impressed with the S.A. and its work that my wife and I eventually served on the Salvation Army board in Grand Forks.

I was working as a reporter/editor for the Grand Forks Herald at the time, and of course clever words are valuable in newspapers. I developed a motto for the Red Cross that, even though I wrote a weekly column, I never had the guts to print.

"The American Red Cross: Wherever they go, it's a disaster."

aside from everyone talking themselves up about how much money they have to "give" to others...................haha JK guys

I think it's really pathetic what they teach the kids in schools today. It boils down to this......They are teaching them to be whiny little kids with a narrow mind that cannot solve anything. It's rather simple to be idealistic. Heck some people make a living at it. Good example is an engineer. They can tell you how to do something or how it SHOULD be done, but they have no idea how to do it themselves.

Point is, it's easy to stand back and point out flaws.

I think it's really pathetic what they teach the kids in schools today. It boils down to this......They are teaching them to be whiny little kids with a narrow mind that cannot solve anything. It's rather simple to be idealistic. Heck some people make a living at it. Good example is an engineer. They can tell you how to do something or how it SHOULD be done, but they have no idea how to do it themselves.

Point is, it's easy to stand back and point out flaws.

Sounds like you're proving your own point, bubba. Criticizing those who stand back and point out flaws while doing it yourself. gringringrin

All in good fun, Roofer. gringrin

I have known several engineers, a couple of them closely. While only one has very good people skills (engineers are known for being blunt to the point of hostility), every last one of them could think through a construction or a breakdown problem and come up with an on-the-spot solution. Maybe some engineers are big on theory on not on mechanics, but the eight or 10 engineers I've known all had shops of their own and worked in those shops.

But, golly, we've come a loooooong way off topic, haven't we, discussing engineers . . . gringrin

I knew there were people out that refurbished these computers It nice to here from you first hand. I know you dont do this for recognition, you do deserve some gratitude for what you do. Thanyou upnorth

Hey, didn't say I wasn't guilty myself. smile

I guess we are all critical. It's just funny seeing a 12-14 year old worry about things they have no control over or experience in. If they stuck by their words, I doubt they could survive in the world today. Probably by now that little girl knows this.

I knew there were people out that refurbished these computers It nice to here from you first hand. I know you dont do this for recognition, you do deserve some gratitude for what you do. Thanyou upnorth

Thank you!! I do quietly try to do what I can do. And you are right, I don't do if for recognition. I normally won't even bring it up unless I think there may someone who could use one.

but if those 12-14 year olds stuck with these ideals and didn't give in to our "can't do it yourself" attitude we have in this country, thing would and could change. I hope they don't look at this board, we all are telling them they cant make a difference.