• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

West Battle Lake

Going to be heading up towards ottertail for a few day..have never been out on west battle lake. Was thinking of trying it out for ski's ..is it worth while of should I just go to Miltona

I'm not familiar with the area, but some of the guys are, just depends if they are around this weekend! When are you headed there?

I know enough to say it does have it's fair share of fish, hopefully a couple from the area will chime in. If you're looking at the next week or so, both will be busy for sure.

West Battle is a good lake. More of a big fish lake than a #'s lake but if you hit it right it has good possibility.

It is usaully more of a trolling lake. Our rule of thumb on there has been either find thick weeds and fish about 4-8 feet deeper than you normally would. Thats what makes it a little tougher to fish. You will probably be one of the only wood chuckers on the lake which is nice.

Start your search and end your search by the wall. I would reccomend breakfast at Shoreline before you head out on the water.

Spent 3 days last weekend on West Battle. We found fish where we found cabbage - a little bit on the main lake but thicker in the holes. Multiple fish on good cabbage spots. Even though you will fish deep on average as stated above, fish will move shallower than you think during peak periods - inside edges and sand. We moved fish on pretty much every type of bait at some point but the one we got in the boat ate a bucktail.

Clouds and nighttime fishing will greatly increase your odds. Despite being a tough lake sometimes it's hard not to like WBL because of the light pressure and big fish.

I am heading up to near Dent tomorrow night and was wondering which would be the best of the two lakes to fish Muskies on. West Battle or Beers lake in Maplewood state park?

Your chances are a little better on Beers for action, probably bigger fish at WBL. Unless you've got a honey hole on WBL or you're fishing at night I'd go with Beers almost every time and I don't have any recent reports for either. Caught my first fish on Beers so I've got an eternal fondness for it. Good luck