Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishingbuddy

Fast eating dog

9 posts in this topic

My lab eats his 1 1/2 cup of food in about 15 seconds. Any tips on slowing that down. I know it cant be good for him.

fishnbuddy

I HAD A MUTT THAT DID THE SAME THING IT NEVER HURT HER SHE WAS 18YRS OLD WHEN WE HAD TO PUT HER DOWN SHE WAS MY FISHING BUDDY CAME CLOSE FALLING OUT THE BOAT MORE THAN ONCE WALKING ON THE EDGE.THE DOGS WE HAVE KNOW ITALIAN GREYHOUND AND SHELTIE JUST NIBBLE WE LEAVE THE FOOD OUT ALL THE TIME.

FISHH ON

I suppose you could use gravy to glue the kibble together and bake it so it would have to chew on the huge kibble a bit. LOL.

Seriously - I don't think it's a problem. My Springer practically inhales his food - and when it's gone, it's gone. He's extremely healthy - [PoorWordUsage] well and runs like a tiger. (You should have seen him at training last night - it was a thing of beauty - but that's another story....)

Water in the food helps.... My Griffon loves her food and eats it very fast..the water with the food helps... Every dog is different... Don't worry that he eats it fast... Really won't hurt a thing...

My springer always ate his food fast. The vet said its not a big deal unless the dog vomits from gorging himself.

If you are trying to slow him down, we dumped it out on the floor. Make the dog work for every last piece. Another idea in my puppy book was to pour it in a rug or blanket and have the dog seek out the pieces. Dumping it on the floor seemed to work and my dog eats much slower now.

Dogs that eat fast are at greater risk of bloating. Not all fast eaters get it but it does increase the odds and if not treated within hours it can kill your dog. They are at even greater risk if they exercise, work or play hard 2 hours before or after they eat.

Since we can't give websites here I will tell you they make a brake-fast bowl that is designed to decrease the speed at which your dog eats. I'm sure if you google brake-fast dog bowl you will find it. Good luck.

Our beagle eats like that as well, has for years. We put tomato juice in their food. Slows them a little as well as helps with all the urine spots outside. Thanks for the tip on the brake-fast dog bowl, I'll have to look that up.