• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

octane booster

Wondering if anyone uses octance booster additive when you fill up with 87 octane instead of paying the higher price of premium? My son has a Buick Regal with a turbo engine that requires the use of premium gas. Using lower octane causes clicking noise. I suggested buying octane boosters so he doesn't have to buy premium gas, but I wasn't sure if this would work. Would alternating between octanes or mixing them at a half tank work? I am just trying to find some alternatives for him so he doesn't have to pay the high cost of premium being that he is a college student.

I do not see any reason why it would not work.

The only thing though, is it really saving you money?

A good octane booster is going to cost the difference as using high octane at the pump. Unless he can find a deal, buy it by the case and put it in his trunk, I do not think you will be saving much verses the hassle. If he does not buy it by the case, he would have to stop by auto parts store before fill up. You are not going to save money buying it before the fill up at the gas station.

With out doing the math, I would say it is not a loop hole grin

Good luck though

Different brands will give you different results! There are some poor quality ones out there that will only take your money.

Test, Test, Test!

My personal experience: AMSOIL has one that I tested in my 2002 Trail Blazer. The AMSOIL Octane Boost (12 oz bottle sugg retail $8.95) is rated for a 12 oz bottle to boost 15 gallons by 7 points. I tried to see if it would make a measurable difference. I started at 1/2 the rated dose - 1/2 bottle to 15 gallons (since we normally buy around 15 gallons at a time it was fairly easy) and treated at this rate for several tanks. I got nearly 2 mpg improvement. I then dropped to 1/3 treat rate for several tanks and the economy held. I then dropped to 1/4 treat rate and fuel economy dropped about 1 mpg. Returned to 1/3 treat rate and got the original economy. For my driving and this vehicle the 1/3 treat rate works best. Apparantly emissions system, anti-knock sensors, computer etc. works best with the 1/3 treat rate for this vehicle.

Too much may be harmful to your vehicle. Test and find the optimum for yours.