• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eighteen Lake

Thanks for the comments! This Eighteen Lake is up by Isabella. Any ideas on how I can make the firt picture better? I LOVE the picture but I dont like the lighting...

Natalie I love that last shot. On the first shot you might have had the camera on an auto mode? The camera was metering for the bright sun so the rest of the photo came out dark.

You can meter by pointing the camera at a more neutral area, like the canoe and make sure the sun is not in the frame and take note of what those settings are. Now put your camera in manual mode and use those settings to capture the scene. This of course will not render the sky almost white and you will lose detail in the sky.

Scenes like this really exceed the capability of your camera to capture all the ranges of tone in your shot. You could take a few more shots and go -1 and -2 steps under and over and blend them together later in post processing. Or if you had a Graduated Neutral density filter which will darken the top half of the photo you could possibly get better results.

Keep experimenting and play with your camera settings. Watch your histogram and it will give you some clues to what is happening exposure wise to your scene.