• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

wilkie/louisville/rapids lake units for deer

well with gas prices and all im going to start doing some scouting locally in the wilkie, louisville/rapids lake units i will report back what little I can. I am no expert so any insight will be greatly appreciated. It will be me and my 15 yr old brother still trying to get his first DEER PERIOD. I will also be checking around the areas of ST PETER, RUM RIVER STATE FOREST/ MILLE LACS WMA and CARLOS AVERY I will see what we can do this year. Is it too early to start scouting right now? Is it TOO LATE? Today i might hit the area down by the river in shakopee where the bow range is. WILKIE y think it is

I went there 1996-1999 Wilkie area always saw deer got two,Lots of people at times,I quit going weekends and days, only to go evenings weekdays,close to the river was best long walk and drag!

Thats cool yeah i work nights and have all day to go hit these areas i live in eden prairie so not a long drive. Thanks for the information I hope I can get back with some information of my own soon.

I've hunted all over Louisville Swamp. There is definitely a lot of pressure on the weekends. Don't expect to be hunting by yourself. I had better luck later in the season when other folks didn't want to gut out the cold weather. I never took any bucks, but I took a half dozen doe's over the years. I had my best luck setting up against the edge of the cattail sloughs and trying to catch deer as they came out of the swamps to feed in the evening.

I went out to what i thought was the WILKIE unit i was wrong i was at the RAQUET or RAGUET unit by shakopee. I cant find any hunting information on this unit and dont know if anyone has ever bow hunted for deer here. I looked in alot of places and there wasnt much deer sign. the one spot i did find some sign was right as you pass the parking gate there is a trail to the right there were alot of prints on there of deer coming and going.

NEXT I TRAVELED TO LOUISVILLE SWAMP.

i didnt have much time so i took the trail that goes to the left. i found some hoof prints by that little creek that runs after you walk like a mile or so. the best spot i found in the area was near where THE BRIDGE used to be there was sign of deer crossing back and forth through that little creek.

anyone with more info please lets keep each other informed.

I AM GOING OUT TODAY to the louisville swamp unit and explore the part i didnt get to and head out to the wilkie unit i will get back with you all for more info.

SPARCEBAG and HUBERICTA do you guys hunt from a ground blind, set up a tree stand or just find a nice place to sit or stand?

I've been over to the unit by Valleyfair a few times (can't recall what the name is). It was pretty heavily hit by hunters on the weekends, and lots of walkers / dog walkers out and about too.

Never saw deer on stand, though I'm sure they are in there somewhere.

I took one doe spot and stalk, but most often I hunted out of my climbing tree stand. When I lived in Richfield it was a nice quick after work hunt. If you just want to get out and spend some time in the woods, these units are fine. If you want to see and have opportunties at a lot of deer, I suggest you save your cash and get further than two hours from the cities. Hunting out west is great until the start of pheasant season, and by that time the grouse hunting up North has died down and the bowhunting is better up there. If nothing else make sure you are out of town on the opener and during the peak of the rut.

I got out yesterday again. went to louisville swamp unit again. I went to the left for what seemed an endless walk. didnt see too much sign and NO DEER SIGHTINGS. Only saw two other people from 1 pm to 430 pm.

we then traveled to WILKIE unit. walked all the way to the river to the right is the closed area for herons and we walked to the river like i said and looked around a bit. no sightings not too much sign

I am thinking of maybe heading to the PRESTON area on bow opener or to carlos avery which has always been good to me and rum river state forest or mille lacs wildlife mgmt area. so i do have lots of options

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TODAY MONDAY i might be heading out to CARLOS AVERY and will post my results. take care everyone

i ended up going to CARLOS AVERY in east bethel.

First I explored the area where the dove field is at and i was surprised to see that alot of the trees had been cut down... actually it was a good surprise it means better shooting lanes. saw lots of sign but no sightings...some good dove numbers though

then i traveled on the gravel road and just drove around i didnt stop much i had no sightings although i saw a fair amount of waterfowl. I usually always see at least one deer not today....

went to the state park area near jordan I unfortunately couldnt do any scouting since i didnt know you had to have a state park ticket or something like that. ill have to go back