• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shelf Life Of Lines

gunflint

Question

Does anyone know of a study that determines the shelf life of the different lines? Mono, fluorocarbon, copolymer, the super lines, etc. Are they good for years or do they lose something when exposed to light? I'm not talking about line on the reel, that I change at least seasonally. I'm thinking more on terms of buy large spools.

8 answers to this question

sparcebag, are you referring to ambient room light, or direct sunlight? It would be silly to assume that someone would store a spool of line in direct sunlight, but you never know.I think I heard, or read, that direct sunlight can weaken line over time. I have spools of mono line that are over 10 years old and are still in good shape.Those spools are stored in a dark storage room.I bought a large spool of mono line off of HSOList awhile back that is at least 20 years old. The line was stored in a dark storeroom by the seller, and is still in good shape.

Moisture can also degrade fishing line. I had some Trilene in the dank basement and it went bad after two years. So I know better now. I'm still using some Silverthread Xcalibur over ten years now I think, and it seems to perform about 90% of original line strength.

Had the same question a few years back, so I called berkley and asked them about it. The respond I got was to keep your spare spools in a cool dark place. Both sunlight and heat will destroy the line.

O

I know you were talking about line on the larger spools but to save some coin on the expensives lines I use I "rotate" line on the spool to keep it a few years more than I might normally have. I have noticed even the Fireline and Power Pro I use start to "fade" after a few years of use. I take them off the spool and put them back on "backwards" to get the line that looks fresh on top and then use them for a few more years before I totally replace them. I have never had a problem with the "rotated" line breaking when it shouldn't or losing any sensitivity.