• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Oil and Maintenance

MAB

I just bought my first Harley it is a 2006 Dyna Low Rider with fuel injection. I am looking for some thoughts on the oil types and if you think that the regular maintence schedule is really needed. It seems that Harley is a little excessive they want you to take the bike in every 5000 miles. I have owned it for a month and put over 5000 miles already. Thanks for your input.

If you have a warranty on it, take it in for the scheduled maintenance. If you don't, they may not cover repair if something happens. In my opinion, just the piece of mind that everything is adjusted correctly and checked by someone who knows what to look for is worth it.

You do not have to take it to the dealer for the scheduled maintenance to keep your warranty (if that is a factor).

However, you should maintain the bike according to the owner's manual. So, if you can do it yourself, that's fine. You just have to keep good records of what you did and when...just in case.

And, you don't have to use Harley oils, lubes, or filters either, so long as what you use fits the specs layed out in the owner's manual.

If you are so inclined, I'd recommend that you get a factory service manual. It's likely most of the stuff you need to do requires only basic tools.

Have you considered AMSOIL?

AMSOIL 20W-50 MotorCycle Oil has been tested and proven by independent labs the best in the industry - exceeding the Harley Screaming Eagle Synthetic (there is a link on this linked page with the test data white paper). The service interval is 1 year / 10,000 miles (whichever comes first) for touring and cruising bikes (same as the Harley Synthetic recommendation, so no warranty issues).

It is rated for all 3 holes - engine, transmission and chain case. 6 quarts to do most bikes. Smoother running, easier shifting, cooler, less wear, better performance.

AMSOIL also has the extended life oil filters that exceed all other specs too. Part # EaOM134C for twin can 1450s.