Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ddsbyday

Recycle--Soft plastic baits(on the lighter side)

8 posts in this topic

This thread gets a little heated from time to time. I just thought I would ask what everybody does with their favorite beat to heck plastic grub,worm or swim bait when it is chewed and beated to a pulp. I know it is easy to just toss it overboard. Who would think it would cause a problem.. It is kind of just flicking one cigarette butt out of a window. Some people empty their ash tray out of the window. I recently read an infish article on fish being choked out on plastics. These can be recycled. I think bait shops should have a bin where you could dump them. (if they won't I would take them) They can be recycled. Just tossing them in the lake causes global warming or cooling depending on your religion. grin

Mine have a tendency to fall under the floor in the boat. whistle

Then they get vac'ed up in the spring when the cleaning and preping for open watter is done.

I am trying to move to non-lead jigs and sinkers, as well as products like gulp. I throw my stuff away after a day of fishing, but I still lose a lot of lures and hooks on rocks and stumps etc.

The 'green' fishing stuff is just so spendy.

Please dont throw your plastics in the lake. Loosing them while fishing is one thing, but throwing your garbage into the lake is wrong, wether its cig butts or used plastics.

Let me rewrite the original post with out the laugh Do not throw your plastics in the lake. They can be recycled. Do not empty ashtrays out your window. With out any sarcasm, PLASTICS can be recycled. I don't know where the new gulps fit in but I am sure someone will know. Each plastic tossed in the lake is a waste. Don't worry, the global warming comment was in jest also.

Berkley reports that Gulp is 100% biodegradable. It will break down in the environment but I am not sure what type of effect it would have on any critter that ate it.

I sure know you want to get if off of your hook/jig before it dries out. The stuff is nearly bullet proof once it dries.

they say biodegradable, but how long does it take to break down? a week? a month? a year? 10 years.....

The way I see it is, when we have to start worrying about recycling twister tails we must have all of our serious problems licked.