• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite pike line?

Dan L

What kind of line do you guys like to use for spinnerbaits and lures like the suick? I currently use 30 lb. tuff line. It seems to work pretty good. Does anyone use mono for pike fishing?

It's all relative to your gear. Lighter rod/reel and I'd say Fireline for the topwaters, maybe spinnerbaits, etc. One can only have so many set-ups.

Going heavier, the jury is still out..... I like the Sufix braid in the 30/8 and the 50lb test, but going on the heavier side, like 65 or 80lb, the Cortland Bronzeback Masterbraid now gets the nod. Power Pro is still preferred by many, but has brought on a lot of competition from brands mentioned above.

I still use mono on one of my trolling rods, less sink and in all reality there are not many pike in Minn that can't be taken on a well spooled 12 or 14lb mono reel. Jonny P will tell you Red Lake is an exception, and he's right. There are some tanks (Red Octobers) in there. For the most part though, the mono can still serve you well, like the Trilene XT lines.

If I was pressed to pick one line, milti-purpose line, I'd go with a 30lb test 8#lb diameter braid like the Sufix.

For my heavier rigs I experimented with all types of microbraids and was never satisfied until last year when I tried 20 lb Rapala Stretch Braid. I haven't looked back since, great stuff. Smoother on the thumb, doesn't get "pilly" and it's tough.

But I agree with cjac, I find myself using mono and lighter tackle lot more often, especially here in Southern MN.

Gotta go with Sufix. Today I got side tracked and went smallie fishing with my walleye rods. Spooled with sufix 10lb braid and I dug four 30" class pike out the rocks that the smallies went MIA from. No leaders and it did ok.

I have a trash/heavy cover rod I am testing out with the same Sufix line on its third year and it still looks pretty good. Little piling and fray but still strong and castable.

wow I had no idea people used such heavy line for pike!! I've always just used 8-15 lb mono.

Do people actually use 50+lb test for pike? That's more than any fish you catch is even going to weigh! My shark/redfish/snook setup only uses 30lb braid.

Good question.......

Really the heavier # test line is to accommodate the weight of the lures being used in many cases. Yes, it helps with a fish in cover as well, but throwing the heavier lures reduces the chances of a break-off on a cast. A 50lb braid is equilivent to the diameter of a 12lb mono, or close to.

I used to use 20 lb. braid on my pike outfit. Then, I started to run into some bigger pike and thought I should upsize. When I started using some 30 lb. braid, I started to catch some Muskie. So, you guessed it... I switched over to 50 lb. braid. At he same time, I switched over my Muskie outfit to 80 lb. Pike do not seem to be finiky over line diameter or line visibility, so the upgrade makes sense.

-Gregg B.

I run 65lb test on my casting rigs and up to 80lb on my speed trollers of course I am dealing with 20-30lb fish. The heavy line just eliminates chances of failure or helps you put the odds in your favor in what truly is a big numbers games. Plus I like the fact when my $15 lure snags up I can just straighten the hooks, roll the rock over or land the log and get my lure back.