• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor jumping out of gear?

Carpenter

I have an 82 Johnson 35hp motor (actually dual 35's on an 18' Lund). I recently took the lower unit off the one motor because it was jumping out of gear when it was under load. I took the unit apart, found that the pinion was shot, it's thrust bearing was shot and the upper washer (thrust bearing) was MIA (ground up I assume), as well as the suspected rounded dogs of the clutch dog. I bought a used set of fwd, revers, pinion gears as well as the clutch dog. They weren't perfect, but they were in better shape than mine. I just took it out for it's test run, and i still have the problem. I plan to take it back apart and see if anything looks out of the ordinary. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Obviously, have better look at the clutch dog and fwd gear. Also make sure the shift linkage is allowing full engagement. Most of the time it is caused from worn dogs and lugs. However, I once had a head scratcher that turned out to be a worn thrust washer on the prop shaft (between the prop and taper on the shaft). It was allowing the prop shaft to float back and forth a little in rougher water or every time the boat would bounce.