• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kicker Motor Starting Problem

Moonshine

I have a 2004 Johnson 9.9 kicker motor that I cannot get to start. When I turn the key it will not even attempt to turm the starter. I tried pull starting and that will not get it going either. That would tell me it is not a starter, electrical,or ignition problem. When turning the key it is like trying to stat a motor that is in gear. No Response. I checked the fuses and plugs. Just wanted to asked for any quick advice before I tear it apart today and then have to take it to a mechanic tomorrow with all the parts in a bag. Any advice is much appreciated.

Jason

When you tried pull starting it you couldn't pull the rope, or it wouldn't start?

I think there's a neutral switch that you should check under the hood - if it's not in neutral it won't turn over and may go so far as to ground out the spark. Check under the hood where the shift cable connects to the motor.

marine_man

Thanks for the reply MM-

When I tried pull starting the motor I could pull the rope all the way, it just would not start. Like you said, as if the plugs are being grounded out.

I did look under the hood and watched the cable engaged when put in gear and in neutral. Just not sure if it is really in neutral. As i am writing this I am thinking that if the prop will turn by hand when placed in neutral, it should be in neutral.

When I turn the key it does not engage the starter. I'll try pulling the rope tonight and check for a spark. Also, I wouldn't say the plugs were wet when I cleaned them. Damp, but not wet.

Thanks again for the help!

possibly not getting gas!! had the same problem with my 9.9 yamaha and after pulling the rope till i was almost dead!! i decided to get a new hose and bulb and to my amazement the motor started on the third pull..so my bulb was bad even though i could pump it..try that might work

Same motor, same year, same problem. It's the neutral interlock, fiddle with the gears. My controls from the console back to the motor had to be replaced under warranty and that fixed it right up.

Does the motor have an electric choke? If so does that work. As mentioned the neutral interlock should be above the shifter. It is a funny looking switch and you should be able to hear it click near neutral. I suspect a bad battery. The neutral interlocks usually only have one wire and that goes to the starter solenoid. Even if that is not working you should still be able to get spark when hand cranking it. If you lost spark because the interlock was out of neutral the motor would die every time you shift into forward. Make sure all the battery contacts are clean, shiny and tight. If you have another marine battery maybe try that one. If you find the neutral interlock switch you can jumper across the switch so the starter can get juice.

Take a look for the circled parts under the hood - that's your netural interlock. If you push that in by hand and crank the motor (stay clear of the prop just in case) and see if that'll do it. If it does you need to adjust the neutral switch or the shift cable to get things back in synch.

johnsonneutralinterlockjd7.jpg

marine_man

I'd guess that your shifter cable is slightly bent or off and needs adjusting.

2 weeks ago my bracket broke loose that holds the remote trottle cables to the motor from the console.

I went to hardware store and replaced the bolts and had the bracket firmly mounted.

Got out on the lake and i turned the key to start the T8 and it wouldn't turn over.

I pulled the pin releasing the remote shift lever to the shifter in the motor and wiggled it just slightly and the motor would start. I put the pin back in and it wouldnt start. So i had to screw the mounting bracket out like 1 revolution and put it back on and that was all it took. It was off just a milimeter and that locked out the ignition.

Hey Guys- I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. It appears my problem was similar to Muleshack's. Last night I followed the shifter cable all the way back to the motor into the hood. Striaghtened some bends and reset all connections. When I put it all back together I tried it and it started. I assume over time the cable just gets stretched or bent and does not quite get you to neutral.

Thanks again for the help!