• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Calcutta 400TE features and settings...

After coming back from a guided trip, she just had to have one. So, I just got one of these for my better half and was wondering what I should set the Variable Braking System (VBS) to? I can see how to adjust the spinning weights, but I am not sure what they do and the instructions do not explain them well. I know very little about casting reels (still a die-hard muskie-spin fan) and don't know what settings all the features are typically set to. At some $350, I figure I better get all the knowledge of all the "bells and whistles" that I can on this thing. It's currently spooled with 80lb. Bronzeback and she will likely be casting 2-5 oz. lures on a custom 6'6" TB muskie rod, if that helps.

-Gregg B.

It depends a little bit on what the skill level of the Mrs is really. If she is in the "decent" category as far as casting, start her off at the mid-point. I think there are 6 pins with the plastic sleeves on them on the VBS, pull three up, alternating with three down. So, you make a traingle with the VBS pins in and the ones out. Then, if it's a little tricky still, you can engage another or if she's doing well, back one or two off.

Set the spool control so the lure will fall when released but pretty much stop when it hits the water and you should be set!

Thanks, Chris. That's good info right there. She is kind of a semi-novice, so I may just engange 4 of the weights at first. Thanks for the tip on setting the spool friction as well...

-Gregg B.

Glad I could help! If you go to 4 engaged, keep the 2 not on at opposite ends on the "dial". You'll want to tinker with the spool adjust as weel as you change lure and their weight changes. Also adjust it pending on wind conditions too.

Sure long casts are cool, but I've had many times on a short cast after catching one where the line is bound up a bit on the spool and I have a fish follow (few times after losing a fish, just to add insult!). Point is set it on the side of caution first, as I can gaurantee you she won't catch anything while picking out a rats nest on the reel! Again....speaking from experience......

Good luck!

Just to add a little to what Cjac says. If your spool is overrunning early in the cast, more weights "out". If it's overrunning late in the cast, you need to tighten the cast control on the right side (assuming its a RH). I think on my Calcuttas I'm running at least 5, maybe 6 out, but of course I'm throwing more of the heavier baits nowdays. It's a great smooth reel, I think she'll love it and you'll be jealous.

Well said young Propster! Perfectly said, while hard to explain, you it it dead-on!

Heck, I'm jealous of Mrs steffanf and the new Calcutta!

Young prop: Start to back one or two of the VBS brakes off and you'll soon have an "educated thumb".....meaning you'll get far more casting distance, less backlashes (wind conditions regardless), and more time with your lure in the "strike zone". Short-term sacrifice at your age and a long term gain. Soon you'll be a muskie pro......if you aren't already!

Hey Chris, while Hunter would appreciate the advice (I know I do), I think I've confused you guys. It's Keith (Propster and PropsterII) - when we finally got high speed at home and I tried to register it wouldn't let me register under the same user name as my work computer. So I had to choose something different and used PropsterII hoping folks would recognize me as Propster. Hunter is HuntBigFish, and I'm going to try to re-register from this computer as Propster.

By the way SWEET SET UP!

I have never moved any of my wieghts and I probably never will. That said, I believe that you just want to make sure that the spool is in balance i.e. one in next one out next one in and so on. I believe that all in and all out is fine too.

With the 80 LB Bronzeback and the resistance, she should be fine. My wife started fishing with me a few years ago and now she backlashes less than I do. She never really backlashed much to begin with come to think of it.

Quote:
Hunter is HuntBigFish

That is a great name!

Can he reserve something close for his license plate for when he turns 16 and starts pulling the Ranger all over the state?!?!

Thanks for all the advice Guys. I did notice the reel came with all 6 of the weights already pushed out in the "on" position. I just turned 2 off to bring it down to 4. She should be able to try it out next week. Also, while this reel is a nice one, I will not be too jealous. I love my custom spinning outfit and just managed to catch my personal best the other day... 48" on 'Tonka... but that is another story...

-Gregg B.