• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nikon SB800 Flash test...

Due to an unexpected flake out of a photographer that a co-worker had hired for a wedding this coming weekend, I suddenly find myself as the main shooter for the event. I decided to get a couple of Nikon SB800 flash units to cover the day. The soon to be bride's request is to cover the wedding from more of a photo documentation rather than a formal shoot. I decided on the SB's to do the job.

This last weekend I did a test shoot with her and found the flash units to work very well. I thought I would post the result from SB800 mounted on a stand with an umbrella. I have a couple of lumedynes as back up just in case. I think this will work just fine...

picture-6.jpg

Good luck with the gig! You may find it difficult to drag that umbrella and stand around though. Bouncing will be a nice option in many of places you will be shooting I would think. At least you are using one of the best flash systems out there.

Don't forget a grey card or WhiBal card for color correction and a CWB, will save you a ton of processing later. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the responses.

Buzzsaw.... you're killing me. Just checked out a press release on the SB900. A week late and a dollar short I guess. Oh well, it's tough to keep up with technology (at least that is what we tell ourselves.) I'll admit, I got stung on this one. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though... smile

DBL... thanks for the tips. I only plan to use an umbrella for some pre-ceremony portraits outside. The rest of the time I plan on mounting the SB's on a flash bracket and bouncing/diffusing the light from there. Quick and easy. The white balance reminder is a gem for sure. I just might have forgot about that. It's been quite awhile since I shot a wedding. In fact, the last time I shot a wedding I was using a Mamiya 645. That's right... film.

Thanks again