• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tonights bite.

harvey lee

Well I guess I think the opposite is true. I would bet 50% or more of the missed hooksets are on small fish or of other species like a drum.

Believe it or not, Aanderud caught a big sheepie on a double bully rig (two on the same hook) last night. It’s kind of a rare occasion to catch a sheepie on a bullhead, unless your name is wastewater (he’s up to 3 this year), but it’s even a rarer thing to catch them on a double rig!

Hooksets and missed fish can be analyzed till you are blue in the face. Minor adjustments can be made to increase your percentage, but for the most part it just needs to be shrugged off and move on.

There are times however that a good Turrets outburst is called for.....right Aanderud????

Quote:
I would bet 50% or more of the missed hooksets are on small fish or of other species like a drum

I was going to ask if you brought up an empty hook, could sheephead be a factor in this. I guess they can be, if you guys are catching them.

Quote:
Hooksets and missed fish can be analyzed till you are blue in the face.

And it will be, that is the fun part about fishing with you guys grin

There are some big sheephead in that river.

I agree with darren that the bigger fish are likely a higher hookup percentage.

Overall I am around 40 or 50% for the year. Better than last year.

I am always disappointed and a little confused when one comes undone on the way to the boat like last night. The maximum pressure that you put on the fish occurs in the hookset or the first 30 seconds or so of the fight. To have one come off after this point is very rare indeed. (unless you are using the rod hoist techniques for getting fish in the boat...then you tend to loose a couple)...

I'd say that many of the missed hooksets are smaller flats, walleyes, channels, sheepshead, or the like. They probably didn't even have that 10/0 hook in their mouth when you pulled. The bullhead's head was in there, that's all.

I would guess that since the big ones can suck the whole bait in so much easier, their hookup percentage is higher than the small ones. So if one is averaging something like 30-50% hookups, including all bites big and small, then I'd say the big fish are getting to the boat with more than 50% probability. The numerous small fish bring down the average.

The funny thing about averages is how hard they are to move UP after you have taken any misses at all smile . Hook into a couple fish right away, you're feeling good about your 100% - 2 for 2. Now miss 2 and you're down at 50%. It's almost impossible to get back to a "great" after you take your initial hit. Say you're an "A" student so you're shooting for 90%....well, good luck with that. Getting your average back up to 90% will require you to connect on your next SIXTEEN (16) bites in a row!!! (18 fish in 20 attempts)

Moral of the story -- just take what you get, and try to make some minor tweaks along the way where you see the need. I was side-swinging earlier in the year, and I'd say I got about 1/3 of my fish in the boat. I have changed to a more vertical hookset, and I think it's helped a bit. I'd estimate that I'm over 40% since switching up, which doesn't sound like a lot or improvement outright, but it's 25% more fish than I was catching before!

It was a nice night to be out. Chris, maybe if I warn you 2 times next time about the clicker you may remember to turn it off wink . I was glad I put you into some fish, but tonight is my turn!

I also said I have only been snagged twice this year were I lost everything, so what happens next cast SNAG lost everything. Yea I have to get used to that whole Bait Clicker thing. Your due for a forty with all the time you have been putting in. We even gave out a Yahoo Mountain Dew in honor of Tom.

P.S. I think you should try the first spot we were at again. There should be a pig hiding in that snag somewhere.

Nice Mudeye Ace grin

4.W.E. your up next! wink

I am going out in a couple hours with the wife, maybe she will be the lucky charm I need to hook the big one!

P.S. I have a couple this year over 30, and more over 20, I am just looking for the 40 yet!