• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tonights bite.

harvey lee

Tonight I hit the river with 4 wanderingeyes for a little flathead action. We boated 6 fish and I lost a few also. Seems the fish were really slamming the bait as most of my fish were hooked without setting the hook and no, I was not using a circle hook either. The biggest fish went approx 15 pounds.

Thanks for a great evening Scott.

It was a nice night to be on the water. It was nice to catch some fish as well, I know you had a few on your line that were of better size, but that dang hook kept coming off. Oh well, we will get em next time! Thanks for coming along Tom!

I managed two fish and 5 runs last night as well. A 42 x 27 and another one that was around 26 or so.

Had a break off that was a big fish as well. Could have been a great night.....but was still pretty good.

Pretty fun out there fighting and landing them by yourself. I think I may go solo out there more often. Very relaxing.

I'll keep the comments about the beer drinking kitty to myself.

Tom, looking forward to getting a couple tonight. Let's get a couple upgrades and see what kind of damage we can do.

Hopefully you brought the upgrade monkey out of the truck!

Originally Posted By: wastewaterguru
I'll keep the comments about the beer drinking kitty to myself.

Tom, looking forward to getting a couple tonight. Let's get a couple upgrades and see what kind of damage we can do.

Hopefully you brought the upgrade monkey out of the truck!

From what I heard he is hanging from the leading pole...

Just like up at the sturg excurs....

Should bring good luck...Can't wait to hear what the Monkey brings......(God I'm glad that is out of Shamu's boat) grin

No shortage of little guys getting their eat on is there?

I guess when moms and dads are away, the kids will play.

Along with the tykes, we did manage to coax one teenager that went about maybe 17lb.

Be nice when Mom and Dad get home from their second honeymoon.

Last night the monkey didn't do a darn thing for John and I. We hit 3-4 spots and fished till 1am with only a couple smaller fellows.

Tough night but it was a nice evening on the river. Also watched a young coon try to swim the river and it was all the little feller could do to get across in the current.

Maybe john can post the picture of the flathead that the monkey caught.

Yep, is sucked monkeys last night frown.

Went down to Pool 2 from shore and the water has dropped.

I kind of miss the high water. We had to hit 4 spots and the HLOA with on the down low at every one.

Gave a supreme hook set into a glove. I would have sweared it was a fish. It gave a run and some thump thumps just like a fish. Thought is was a mud puppy at first and found out it was a dang old glove grin.

Ah, well! Next time!

The monkey had the action last night. He has been giving out upgrades but has slacked off on that lately. I almost pitched him into the river when the raccoon was swimming by last night. Thought maybe that might make a good show.

I guess when moms and dads are away, the kids will play.

Be nice when Mom and Dad get home from their second honeymoon.

More of the same for us last night. Thay keep getting smaller and smaller................

The kids were out in full force again tonight. 8 of them with another teenager mixed in (must have been lost).

Then they went to sleep and Mom or Dad thought that WWG's bullhead looked like a good meal. Too bad John thought it would be nicer to let it go before we could get a look at it frown

Moved locations looking for a bigger fish.....and I mess it up.....

You pulled an "aanderud" smile Had him 1/2 way to the boat, we were all thinking there's no way it's getting off after about a 90 second fight or more already....and this fish would have out-weighed the other 8 we had in the boat, all by himself!

Fun night, that's for sure. I am paying for it this morning. I should really stop fishing so late on weekdays. Thanks for going out, John and Darren!

On further examination on how a hook set occurs on a flat, it is a wonder anyone gets a hook in a big girl at all. I think the little guys have less opening and more “usable” surface for the hook to grab. The big ones have a larger opening, there for less area for the hook to grad and more opening for the hook to come right out. If you get the hook to set on the way out, the “hook set” placement odds are not in your favor on big fish. Tougher/harder body parts and such I would guess. Plus throw in a quickly moving fish in the opposite direction, well maybe that might be in the your favor grin.

I have no doubt (thanks to my trip with Brian and Dtro) that the hook rips out of the bait and catch’s something on the way out.

Brian, what do you think the hook set up ratio is on a 40lb flat grin. 30%, 40% or is that to high.