• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Waterpump ?

I am planning on changing the water pump on my work car ('91 Buick Regal 3.1)this friday. Are there any expected challenges involved that I might not be seeing? It looks like it's going to be pretty easy. I've heard getting the air out will be a small challenge.

That will be a walk in the park for you. Pay particular attention to how the water pump is indexed! There is a mark on it that helps you line it up. The bolt holes are not uniform and it only goes on one way. You will see what I am talking about when you mate the new gasket to the new pump (it usually talks a couple of tries of rotating and flipping before you get the holes to line up).

I think yours has bleeder screws on or near the t-stat housing and possible one on the water pump bypass pipe (near the water pump). Crack those open when filling and close when a steady stream comes out, Then periodically open them while bringing the engine up to temp. If its the old style 3.1 with the t-stat right on top I would suggest removing the t-stat and filling the block through the opening and then reinstall or replace.

One of the easiest pumps you will find. Like AJ says the hardest part of the job is lining up the gasket. Just be patient when filling and let the coolant flow in slowly with the bleeders open (there are 2 on most). After it is as full as you can get it, put the cap on, start it, warm it up, then crack the bleeder screws a few more times until no air comes out. Should be good to go then!

just a little trick i use when i install a pump on these is take a screwdriver and make a mark on pump and housing(transfer line on new with permant marker for replacement)another note loosen the pully bolts before taking the belt off. i also use weather sripping silicone adhesive to hold the gasket to the new pump

good luck

I remember using some sort of tacky spray to hold the gasket to the new pump. I don't remember exactly what it was, but it sure made it easier.

Theres nothing better than "gasket cinch". It comes in a little red can and is the only thing we use in the shop for gaskets!

Warning shameless plug ahead - The Invergrove NAPA and Newport NAPA will usually have it in stock.

Make sure you have the right tools. One went out on my Buick years ago and I found out the hard way that they had used metric stuff in some of the places. It was a Commie plot to force me to spend more time away on vacation - but being under the hood for a day wasn't much of a vacation.

Just to update I found a little extra time this morning while I was in the shop and this was the easiest waterpump i've ever had the pleasure of working on. It took only minutes to remove the old pump and reinstall the new one. I think I spent a little over an hour working on it total including a complete cooling system flush (it needed it) and a thorough radiator cleaning. You wouldn't believe the amount of bugs you can build up in front of a radiator in 17 years.

I've been at the track the last two nights. Both being good but last night was perfect! Walked away with the heat race on 7 cylinders and won the feature on the dryest track we've seen all year with the new car. Hopefully next friday we can make it feature wins 4 out of 5 nights and we can continue our good luck tonight and tomorrow with the hobbystock.