• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

JIg fishing

TonkaBass

Just wondering what you guys are using for jig trailers. I personally like the Chigger Craw and the Super Chunk. If anyone can offer some more options that would be cool. I have tried almost all the major brands, more interested in why you like them and if you buy them for the amount of fish you catch off of them or how they are priced. Which ones have the best action?

I have been using a Yamamoto twin tail grub, I am thinking it is the 5". I think it has pretty good action, using it more as a swim trailer than a typical jig and pig trailer. I like them though, and they are a lot more durable than other baits from Yamamoto, last quite a while. For a jig and pig trailer I have been running the Zoom super chunks. I have caught fish on both this year, but it hasn't been as productive for me as other tactics.

Ok, I'll bite...

For skipping I like a powerbait beast. I like the profile and the scent, as well as the "holding power" it seams to have.

For swim jiggs I like a 5" Kalin's Lunker Grub. They are beafy and have a good ribbon tail that gives good action even at low speed and will not "roll" the jig on its side if cranked to hard.

Flippin / Pitchen its a ZOOM Super Chunk. They have a big profile, salt, and they "flop in the breaze". I also find that they dont splash as much if you get lazy.

For "Pop Jigging" or Dragging I like to use a YUM "WLY HWG CRW"

Don't ask, it was on the package. Anyways, I like the way they work when "poped". They have good movement, a slow fall rate, and fish well in the weeds.

When it comes to small mouth fishing, I like a tube on a bitzy bug, so I guess that means I like a 4" power tube for that.

Others may think I am way out in left field, but this is what works well for me. I do fish jigs 85-90% of the time though. wink

I usually stick to Zoom baits and use the swimmin' chunk the most. It may not be the best for slow presentations and doesn't have a big profile, but I like to burn 'em when doing some swim jigging and have had good results.

I use most of the stuff mentioned above at times, especially the Zoom Super Chunks and Swimmin' Chunks but use Zoom Craws and Lake Fork Craws a lot. My favorite is the Lake Fork Creature which has a ribbon tail like a grub and side legs like a frog. I use the smaller of the two models.

Hiya -

Kinda depends on what I want to accomplish. A lot of the time it's a plain old Power Craw, or a Zoom Super Chunk. Sometimes a Beaver-style bait if I want more bulk and a little slower fall. 4" grubs on swim jigs. Anything goes on a football head...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Zoom Super Chunks on flippin' jigs. Truth be told, just about anything with some waving action to it is appropriate. I just go with the Super Chunks (or Jr. Chunks) because they are easy to locate in a store and effective while fishing.

Like Rob said, I'll put just about anything on a football jig. However, I do like baits that have minimal action to them and have some stiffness throughout the body of the bait.

Quote:
Zoom Super Chunks on flippin' jigs. Truth be told, just about anything with some waving action to it is appropriate. I just go with the Super Chunks (or Jr. Chunks) because they are easy to locate in a store and effective while fishing.

They are also easier to locate in my tackle box! Call me old school, but I like consistency of throwing the same thing. I've not found a reason to move off what simply put works.

Repitition breeds confidence, confidence brings success.....

craig

Repitition breeds confidence, confidence brings success.....

I like to think I'm an above average jig fisherman. But I would not say I have them "down". I spent a lot of time the last two seasons focusing and working on fishing jigs. In the prossess I went threw dozzens of different trailer options before I settled on the ones above. Yet I still buy and try different plastics in search of something new or better. I am a firm believer that a jig will catch the biggest bass in the lake or on the spot. It is just a matter of mood of the fish and the presentation.

I had some instruction in the world of jig fishing, but a lot of things I learned from TV and Magazines. A few rainy day or winter saturdays on the couch making notes of things to try, then out in the boat trying to duplicate what I read or watched. I still get outfished, so I guess I have a lot to learn.

I do often find myself Wanderering who to blame for making me into a jig fisherman. winkcrazy

My personal fave is the strike king 3X jig trailer, for one of the reasons you mentioned.. They seem to last forever. I have a jig tied on all the time, and throw it just about every day. I have had the same jig and trialer on for over a week. And caught well over 50 bass on it in the past week or so.

To be honest Ive tried jigs several times and never caught a bass on one. Where do jigs excel the most? I know someone will probably say they are the most versitile lure around, but....

Do bass usually hit them on the fall like a senko or do you have to impart action to trigger a bite? Do you drag the jig or jump it?

Maybe I should just force myself to use a jig ALLDAY and not change the lure once

Hello all, can you post pictures of what some of them look like and tips on how to use them? I'm new to the Bass fishing thing and my son and myself are going up to Brainard next week and I would like to try some jig fishing for bass along the weed edges.

what I like is to flip a BooYaa jig (crawdad) with a 6" worm, or a little craw green pumkin, or PB&J around weeds and brush. This can be deadly around beaver lodges.

Quote:
Hello all, can you post pictures of what some of them look like and tips on how to use them? I'm new to the Bass fishing thing and my son and myself are going up to Brainard next week and I would like to try some jig fishing for bass along the weed edges.

RT_jig_lg.jpg

That is a pict of your typical jig. This one is made by OutKast Tackle. Usually people put a uncle josh pork chunk or piece of plastic chunk behind it. As for how to fish it, its really fished very similar to a texas rig worm or if you fish walleye, is fished like you would any other jig. Throw it out, let it sink, and do small hops and drags on the bottom. Or it can be worked in tight cover as well. Throw it into a thick spot and yo-yo it in there.

Quote:
Also, Now that we talked about jig trailers, what types of jigs does everyone prefer using?

I use 2 or 3 different jigs. I really like the OutKast jigs, and I like the fact that they are a Minnesota company. I also use Strike King tripple rattle back jigs, and Northland tackle also makes a good one that I will use from time to time.

For a regular pitching jig I use Gander Mountain's black magic crawfish for my trailers. I modify the craw a little bit before I use it. For finesse jigs I use a double tail grub or zoom's critter craws. These are the trailers I have the most confidence in, thats the main reason why I use them even though other trailers may have more action than these ones do.

I'll give another vote for the zoom super chunks and berkley chigger craws. I really liked berkleys old pork frogs especially in black and blue, but i can't find them anymore. Another trailer that i use a lot (which also saves me a few bucks) is using a sweet beaver as a trailer. I save my used up (shredded head end) sweet beavers and then use them as a jig trailers at times.