• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Steamed Mussels!

Made these tonight and they were great. If you like clams and have never had these, try em. If you tried clams and were not impressed, try em. They are much more delicate and tender than a clam. This was a slight spin on an appatizer at one place I worked.

One of those bags of mussels you see in the seafood department - they are usually 5-6$ and contain 50-60 crustaceans. Sometimes iv'e seen 100 count bags for that price. They are usually 2 or 3 pounds.

In a pot that will fit them but not real big and has a lid add

one cup white wine(use a wine you would drink)

one half stick of butter

2-3 cloves of chopped garlic

a pinch of pepper

a good pinch of crushed red pepper

a big pinch of Tarragon

and a small pinch of salt...

Next time I make this(this weekend) I'll get a more accurate measurment on the spices. Im eather real official of just wing it...

Bring this up to a hard boil and add the mussels and cover. In a few minutes some will begin to open, give em a stir and cover for a few more minutes. As soon as most all have opened give them another stir. Now place a dozen or so in each bowl and spoon some of the liquid on them and serve. My dads a big seafood fan and said these were the best ever. A very easy app as folks are haveing a few beverages waiting for the meal. I did these tonight on the side burner of the grill. And you cant beat the price...

They were fresh. I remember the last batch the label on the netting said "product of Canada". East coast im sure. While in New Bruinswick a few years back on a bear hunt we stayed near a place that farmed them and there were top notch. I'd imagin places out there carry them. If they have fresh clams they should have mussels? They kept a good 7-10 days in a walk-in at one place I worked. The recipe would work with clams but I prefer the tenderness and delicate nature of the mussels...

I'm guessing coastal seafoods in either Minneapolis or St. Paul would have them. They've got everything else seafood, and are top notch. Everywhere else would likely be seasonal. Another bet might be a Kowalski's or a local coop?

Joel