• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing Report: An Outing with Lund95

Scoot

Hi All,

Some of you may remember a while ago a few posts by Lund95 (Adam Standfuss). Adam was looking for info about what he could do to modify his muskie rods so his prosthetic arm didn't destroy the front cork on them. He contacted me looking for help with this. I tried my best to help him out, but I didn't really have an bright ideas that would take care of him. I put him in contact with my dad (the real rod builder in the family). However, while I was talking with Adam, I found out the reason he had the prosthetic arm was due to his time in Iraq. He left Iraq in '05 or '06 (can't remember which) with a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star.

He seemed like a really nice guy, was a decorated war vet (who obviously had sacrificed for my {our} freedom), and he clearly had a serious muskie itch that needed to be scratched: I had to offer to take him out muskie fishing.

So... after a little schedule swapping we decided on this past week as the time to get out and chase some toothy critters. I figured it'd be a good time- I've done pretty well in mid to late June the past few years- and I figured I could find him a few fish.

We hit the water on Mon morning at 8:30 (I had to drop kids off at daycare). We fished until 9:45 that night. We saw enough fish for the day, but really only saw active fish for about one hour later in the evening. I did my best to let Adam hit the spots with his lure first- I tried to space my casts out a long ways and I tried to get him to cast up ahead of me. Unfortunately, the only fish boated that day was by me. I've never been disappointed to catch a muskie, but I was pretty dang bummed that she hit my lure and not his. frown Adam, however, was thrilled for me and was hootin' and hollerin' with excitement. It was great to see his enthusiasm. cool Here's a pic of the 45"er that smashed a glidebait 15' from the boat.

Picture110-1.jpg

The next morning we hit the water early (5:30). The plan was to fish hard until 3:00, then I had to head home and get the kids from daycare. Adam fished really hard and kept a very positive attitude, even when it was glass calm and a bluebird day. His prosthetic arm held up pretty well, but it started to get pretty sore after 20+ hours of casting. I asked him many times if he wanted to take a break and go troll for a while, but he was definitely hardcore and wanted to stick to it and pop a fish. Well... almost 21 hours into it we were seeing quite a few fish, but we had glass calm conditions, a high sun, and the middle of the day. However luck smiled on us and Adam hooked up with one of the fish we'd been seeing, but hadn't been able to get to hit. After a fairly short fight, Adam lead a nice, fat 46"er right into the net. He was pumped, I was pumped, and we both hooted and hollered with excitement. grinlaughgrin Adam was shaking with excitement and his smile was ear to ear- it was great! Here's a couple pics of Adam with his catch.

Picture113.jpg

picsjuly2008506.jpg

I was thrilled that Adam caught his biggest muskie to date with me. I have no doubt he'll catch more and bigger ones, but this one was pretty great. He's definitely a hardcore muskie nut and worked his tail off to get this gal. We both had a blast and I look forward to the next time I can take him out and try our best to top his new PB of a fat 46er.

Congrats Adam and thanks for the very fun couple of days of fishing- I had a blast!

Very nice work Boys! I emphasize the word "work" as you two put the pedal to the metal for two hard days.

Adam: You're a great example of perseverence, both in those 2 days hittin' it hard and in life. Congrats to you for sure! Just go easy on the comments about the rest of us getting outfished by a guy with one arm!

Scoot: Nice job guiding and sharing your boat. Very cool.....

Sweet fish Fuss!!! Enough can't be said bout Scoot for taking him out. I now Adam and have traded information with him about different lakes. The best will be when we get to share a boat together with Steve Jonesi for Operation Muskie! It is going to be awesome and hopefully Adam will get to land his first Canadian fatty!!! Counting down the days Adam!!!

Awesome report guys!! I'm having some musky fever lately too. I better just stay out of this forum. eek I've been lurking WAYYYY too much in here!

Thank you Adam for your service and sacrifice for our country. Servicemen like you mean the world to me.

Beautiful story and wonderful accomplishment!!! It'll be whole lot easier from now on for you... and thank you, Adam and your brothers, for all you have done for us...

Lisa... why are you fighting the fever??? Theres no cure... just get out there... throw out couple DCGs, Pacemakers, etc etc... They do make muskie lures in girlie colors and Im not afraid to use them... Time to stop lurking and start contributing to this forum grin