• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is my locator done for?

ZEEK1223

I hope I can describe this well, but I will apologize in advance. Recently I unhooked my locator (older digital garmin). when I went to hook it back up, I noticed that when I lined the pins up and went to make the half turn that seats the male and female harness together. The locator was missing a piece of plastic that would essentially be the thread that holds the wire harness in the unit. The pins line up, and seems like I can push it in all the way, but no power. any advice is appreciated...

Order another power cable from Garmin. You probably broke off one or more of the pins or the connector won't hold it far enough in to make contact.

Sounds like the broken piece is on the locator itself, not on the power cable?? If so I don't think a new power cable would fix it.

I'd suggest holding / pressing the power cable into the locator and trying the power when you're doing this, to see if it makes contact and powers the unit. Might even have to wiggle the cable a little. Might be a 2-person task, because as soon as it loses contact the locator will shut off and you'd need to power it up again. At least this will let you know if this is where the problem is.

Also, just to be sure, check the fuse and battery connections to make sure everything is okay on that end.

My guess is that you lost a connection inside the locator itself. First off, although it sounds dumb, check for power. Then open you're unit and check to see what opened up. That is of coirse if you don't have a waranty and you're up to the task!