• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spots-A-Lots

Tyler Holm

I caught one just like it this last weekend, about 7 lbs, the back half was spotted dark, just like them! I cant say that I remember flats having spots before.

yes, almost all the little fellas look like that. The channels too. Kind of like a spotted fawn.

Maybe we need to start calling the little guys fawns grin

Yep, see the spots on the little flats all the time this time of year, more so by the tail.

Channels, like the one you are holding Tyler, I see that once in a great while.

What I would like to know is on the larger channels, I see stretch marks/cut marks along the side. I have asked this before, but I think we really did not go anywhere with it.

One of Dtro's last channels he posted about had these marking. I see it more with Croix channels than any where's else (IME).

Nice fish Tyler!

What I would like to know is on the larger channels, I see stretch marks/cut marks along the side. I have asked this before, but I think we really did not go anywhere with it.

I this this very often down here in Roch. Living a lifetime in snags/debris/rocks/trees/etc is what I blame it on. I certainly see it when they wrap in my line so that could be a factor as well.

Speaking of weird colorations, this fish was caught last year on the Miss., and about the sickliest looking flat I'd ever seen. It did have red/pink eyes, so I'm guessing it was an albino. Curious if anyone else has caught flats looking like this?

It was on walleye gear I might add, mid-day, dragging jigs. The fight was ridiculous.

flathead.JPG

Quote:
I this this very often down here in Roch. Living a lifetime in snags/debris/rocks/trees/etc is what I blame it on. I certainly see it when they wrap in my line so that could be a factor as well.

It is way to uniform to be rock, snags and tree marking. I remember now, you are right Tyler! I think we concluded last season it was possibly line wrapping around the fish.

I think I know why I see it more so on the Croix. I fish much deeper water for channels that I do on the Miss. North. When the channels roll, I think the line wraps up on them causing the marks.

It's funny, was a nuisance at the time. Fought great, like a healthy fish would, but looked sickly as ever. In-person, the thing just looked ghostly. Who knows if it was a simple color phase or variation vs. a true albino. Looks to have a bit too much color for that, but I know nothing about albinism in catfish populations?

Joel

Against your white shirt it does have quite a bit of color. Tough to say.

Not even sure if albinoism (is that a word?) occurs under water.

Looks pretty cool though I think

Found some youtube vids with white channel cats, and they're more white than this one. I don't know if it's the same with flatheads or not. Going to do some sluething, will return with more info. Sorry for hijacking the thread!

Joel

If it had red eyes, then it was albino. I am pretty certain that is what makes a true albino. If the eyes were not red, then it's some recessive white colored cat. Albinism does occur in fish, probably more often then many other animals with the huge numbers of fry produced each year. But just like all albinos, their color, or lack there of, makes them easy targets.

That is one cool looking fish!

Originally Posted By: dtro
yes, almost all the little fellas look like that. The channels too. Kind of like a spotted fawn.

Maybe we need to start calling the little guys fawns grin

Maybe we should change your name to Darren the Deer Hunter grin

LOL

I must admit, I've seen way too many fawns lately smirk

Leucistic meaning Leucism is a condition characterized by reduced pigmentation in animals. Unlike albinism, it is caused by a reduction in all types of skin pigment, not just melanin.

Leucism is a general term for the phenotype resulting from defects in pigment cell differentiation and/or migration from the neural crest to skin, hair or feathers during development. This results in either the entire surface (if all pigment cells fail to develop) or patches of body surface (if only a subset are defective) having a lack of cells capable of making pigment.

albinism) lack of melanin pigment in the eyes, skin and hair (or more rarely the eyes alone). Albinism results from inheritance of recessive alleles. The condition is known to affect mammals (including humans), reptiles, fish, amphibians, and insects