• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frustrated with Lowrance

LakeTahoe

Question

So the last couple outings I have become increasingly frustrated with Lowrance products. And the thing is I take really good care of all my electronics. (take them out of the boat when not in use, clean the screens etc.) When they work-there great, but here's the deal...

First off, last year I had to send in a 334igps because the gps was screwed up AND the sonar was blinking constantly (new 'ducer didn't help it). Now this year I have a LMX 20C and the same is happening. When trying to work a drop off for example it's almost impossible. I only get a depth reading like every 10 seconds or so... otherwise it just blinks the last depth reading and the sonar log is a garbled mess.

I know it's not ANY of the wiring or the transducer because I plugged the 334 into the same spot and that worked PERFECT. So it HAS to be the unit, right? Does any one have any other ideas?

To top it off, I work at a local outdoors retailer and you would be surprised at how many people have this and other problems with Lowrance.

I must be a glutton for punishment 'cause I also own and H20C, and an iway 250! I' sure it's only a matter of time before one of those go bad too!?

Sorry for the rant, but anyone have any (constructive) ideas or thoughts?

24 answers to this question

I been reading several forums where Lowrance Sonar/GPS units are experiencing problems. Many of them are not resolved with logical fixes.

I'm starting to wonder about the connectors and the integrity of the cable to connector pin crimping. Also there could be some type of corrosion occuring within the connectors.

Many electronic components are having problems because of the push to remove hazardous materials (lead) from all manufacturing processes.

More problems with dissimilar metals especially in cables/connectors. So when you start swapping components around you get different results based on how the connectors mate/conductors flex.

Visually inspect the connectors under magnification. Plug and unplug all of the network connectors, maybe some high resistance path doesn't affect the 334 the same way.

Good Luck.

Tahoe:

I've had similar issues with a new LX-27C. I've been told to apply dielectric grease to the connections; we'll see if that makes a difference. Also, make sure the connection is snug and fully complete before twisting the locking ring.

Good luck!

Joel

I feel what your going through bought a LCX-27 last year and had nothing but great things to say about it and recently told a guy that i had 1.6 version on it and was convinced to upgrade to 2.3..The unit was fawless up to the upgrade now i cant read bottom when i get up on plan around 30-35 mph...So called lowrance tech and explained and he said the only problem could be the transducer is in the wrong place..Well i told him that it worked fine for a year then upgrade now doesnt work..To me there's something wrong with that..its not s coincidence that i upgraded and now have problems!!! i have got the 1.6 version from lowrance to put back on my unit so hopefully i can get back to the way it was!! if not i might have to send in a unit that there was nothing wrong with before the upgrade!! and i can tell you i am out of warranty but i will not pay for them to check it out..will not they better help me out on this or even go as far as sending me a new head..since there software screwed it up!! that's my 2 cents worth...if i ever need some new graphs i might be looking elsewhere for a graph..

Take a look at the side-imaging yahoo user group before making a decision on the bird units just yet. It's usually about 100 emails per weekend of user issues, especially transducer issues! Their technicians seem to also be onboard the user group, but from what I can see, many times they cannot resolve the issues these users are having.

Joel

It's usually about 100 emails per weekend of user issues, especially transducer issues! Their technicians seem to also be onboard the user group, but from what I can see, many times they cannot resolve the issues these users are having.

I disagree. Yes, there are some noise issue related to trolling motors that you see pop up regularly. Most are resolved from what I can tell. If you look at the board you will clearly see there are very few actual problems with these units. Most folks are looking for help figuring out features and settings.

I went through a couple weeks posts. Questions about transducer install locations, renaming waypoints and which neopreme cover will work with the 797si far outnumber actual problems.

Most times the techs help out with a fix, that is if the regulars don't do it first.

LB

Blue:

I know you well enough to know that you should do your homework here. How long have you been a member on that specific forum? Are you a member? In other words, how familiar really are you with what issues have been presented here? Note too, that I said many times, not all the time. Even if isolated or few actual problems as you state, you have to realize this is but a snapshot of the actual population. I meant my post not to run-down hummingbird, or even to claim that this is unusual for electronics; rather, I meant it to counter the one-sided Lowrance bashing that was going on. The grass is always greener, and I apologize if I've offended. I'll also apologize if I've overstated what issues are known to exist.

Joel

About a year on the bird forum. My lowrance has always worked, and well at that. I took issue with your post. I've never seen "about 100 emails per weekend of user issues, especially transducer issues!", that is why I made the post. We probably have differing opinions on what is an actual problem. Most issues are out of ignorance on how the transducers work, not actual technical/mechanical issues IMO.

As stated above my lowrance unit has always worked. I only bash vexilar. eek

LB

I have had 2 different Lowrance LMS 350's that both went dead when on rough water. I was not impressed with their customer service. 2 Years ago I bought a Humminbird 787c and could not be happier. I think sometimes it's just plain luck when it comes to what works for who.

Cold one SD, I was singing the same tune until this week. My x102c died for the second time. I had it repaired once for $200. About 9 months later it started going south again. I called lowrance (Linda Colt as noted in an earlier post) on Mon AM. I had a return call 15 minutes later. I had a new or replacement x510c by Thurs afternoon. Yes, just 3 or 4 days for a newer model. This is how customer service should be. I was ready to try Garmin or Hummin'Bird, too. Catching any Muskies in the Amsden Dam?

I have an X-27 that I bought last year ;it worked great last year and the first couple months of this season until I got a "module not responding " message.I first thought it was a software issue but that didn't solve the problem( 2.3.0.).Next,I borrowed a new module with no better results,Then I tried a new network cable, - unit to module ,still no luck.Next,I took the graph completely out of the boat and wired it seperate battery to make sure connections were ok.Everytime, I think it's fixed it starts to do it again.It works on and off not all the time,when it does works it's awesome,but it sure is frustrating.I'm wondering now if it could be my main power cable.If I wiggle the network cable on back of the unit the I can get it to lock on almost instantly if I get it right-wrong voltage at network plug???Seems to me if you pay good money for something it should last more than 1 year.Maybe a reason for the 1 year warranty???Connections have all been cleaned.

"module not responding" typically means 1 of 2 things - most common is the module is not getting power, another option is the module needs to be replaced.

Make sure you've got good power connections to both sets of power leads to the 27c and make sure the fuses are good. You obviously had this at one time if it was working correctly, I'm just suggesting you check both sets again when you're trouble-shooting ----- especially since you already ruled out the gps module itself and the network cable itself.

If both power connections are good and the antenna is good, then the next most likely culprit is the plugs and connectors at the back of your unit - try to make sure they're clean, straight, tight, etc.

Good luck getting it resolved.

I think I have it narrowed down to the network plug on the back of the unit because it will work if I wiggle that plug .I have cleaned, tightened and retightened the connections many times.It does work sometimes to unplug and replug it back in-the network cable.Still wondering if it could be the main power cord also.It can be working good in the yard where I can't get it to screw up but go to the lake and it messes up esp. going to winnie ???Bumpy road or afraid of the lake I just plain don't understand, maybe a short inside?? going to the network cable. probably need to check voltage on that plug with a voltmeter pos. and neg. connector posts.Soon to be an expensive clay pidgeon for my Browning!!!

I bought a 522 around June 1 and by the end of the month I had to send it in. When I took the chip out the graph blinked twice and shut down, then it would come on with the chip in or out? From what I am told it should be back this week.

I guess I should have gotten one with an external GPS

I bought the 520 this spring. I went out to work some gills in 24 ft of water where i heard they were. Was watchin the graph and lost signal at 18 ft. went back shallower and got signal but as soon as it got 18 ft deep it would just start to flash depths. I don't know what the [PoorWordUsage] is going on but am really frustrated. Sat on hold with lowrance for 45 mins and got sick of it. It may be going back to cabelas.