• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

June vs August

We have done a fly in fishing trip in Ontario the last three years. We have always gone the second week of June. Our group is talking about moving the trip to the last week of July or first week of August. What are some of the Pro's and Con's of switching months?

I'm primarily a pike fisherman and I prefer August. My reasons are the mosquitoes and insects usually are not a as much of a problem and there generally seems to be fewer people fishing at that time of year, which we like, and the weather tends to be pretty stable- not as many rainy cold days to contend with. For Pike, if the lake you fish has decent cabbage weedbeds you will find some decent pike. The weedbeds usually will have some walleyes too. I think the fish may be a little more difficult to locate in August as opposed to June, but as for our group the advantages of August out weigh those in June. I don't think I have ever had a trip in August that I thought was bad, and that's @ 15 years and several different lakes. Just my opinion! Rick Hill

For sure the best part of going to Canada in late July, early August is that the weather is a LOT more stable. Warmer days and some warmer nights with some incredible thunder storms. Without A/C some times those cabins get real stuffy. You'll find that you will have to fish a little deeper to find the bigger fish. The biggest problem going later in the year is that you have to wait that much longer for the trip to start.....