• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Baitcaster Combo

Shango

I have been bass fishing for many years and have always used spinning gear and I want to get a baitcasting combo. I do not want to spend more than $150. I am just looking for a good all around combo. Any suggestions?

Pfluger Purist Combo. Runs about $99. If you are going to buy a combo this is a good one. Remember, with a combo it is all about the reel. IMO you can not go wrong with Pfluger.

Otherwise, ask at the fishing counter and they should be able to put you in something you will be happy with.

Check out some of the combos at Cabela's. I know you can get a quantum code with and IM7 rod for around $110.00. Or a Pfluger echalon with an All star rod for the same price. For sure get a good set up for under $150.

I bought two phleuger bait cast set ups this year so far and am in my first year of fishing bass with a baitcast set up. I can't believe I havent done this sooner. I have always had good luck fishing with spinning gear but you know what they say about using the right tool for the job... Well there you have it. I'd go with that echelon combo with the All star rod. I have one myself and love it. I would also recomend maybe upgrading a touch and going witht he Cetina by phleuger. I have one on a 6.6 St.Croix MH strung up with 40 lb Power pro and abslutely love it.

I just learned how to use a baitcaster with a purist combo. Its great you just have to make sure that you open it up and make sure that every other pin is pushed in and you should be casting no problem.

I just got my first baitcaster set on Sat! From reviews and opinions from friends....I picked up a Revo S that was about 99 bucks with a Shimano Clarus 7ft med fast action rod. I've fished 3 days with it already...and they performed PERFECTLY...other then the millions of birdsnest I had to get through! Rod is light, sensitive and priced perfectly with a LIFETIME WARRANTY! The rod was 48 bucks ON SALE AT JOES! Total was about 150...but I'll never have to worry about the rod.......EVER! I've had many other shimano rods..and they're warranty is awesome! Good luck on your choice!

Cabelas has a sale with the Quantum PT Energy. $99. I picked one up along with a PT Tour Burner on sale, and the Energy reels as if there is no friction at all, so smooth I almost cried...