Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ryan_V

front hip ?

4 posts in this topic

I have a german shepard. one of her front hips has been bothering her terribly lately. She is usually running free at my farm, but I locked her up for a couple days and it seems somewhat better. anyone have experience with front hips?? I'm wondering if this is more of an injury than an ongoing problem. she's about 7 years old or so. I'd try and take her to the vet, but I rescued her from the pound and she was beaten as a pup, so I can't get her in the back of the truck very easily at all. if worse comes to worse, I'll do it of course. thanks for your help.

I think you mean her shoulder or elbow since dogs don't have "front hips." German Shepherds can have issues with their elbows and should have them evaluated the same as you would have a dog's hips evaluated for hip dyslaysia. It could be that her elbow had become dislocated and then relocated itself. Even though 7 is not all that old it is the age where bone problems tend to be seen. Since she was beaten as a pup it is possible that an old injury has now shown itself in the form of arthritis. We use a lot of German Shepherds in the military and hip and elbow issues are the number one reason the dogs are medically retired. I would recommend she be seen by a vet to find out if she does have something simple like arthritis and then get her on some good joint supplements (glucosamine and chondroitin). If she is painful the vet can prescribe some good meds specifically for dogs that are easier on their systems than baby asprin. Of course no Tylenol or Advil because they will cause liver damage and could kill the dog.

Now if it was the shoulder and not the elbow, that is more likely to be something more serious and she should be seen right away to rule out cancer. Don't want this to scare you, just that the shepherds we see with shoulder issues tend to be that serious. Good luck.

I'm no expert on medical stuff on dogs but I would continue to limit her mobility. Dog's can't help but to continually reinjure themselves expecially when it's a leg or hip problem. Take her to the vet.

Please have the dog checked for Lyme.... One of the first symptoms is coming up lame on one leg/hip...