• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Some like it wet...and some don't.

Although I have always appreciated wild flowers. Until recently, I never paid much attention as to how long various plants would blossom. Take this "Large Blue Flag" (a member of the Iris family). Last week I stumbled upon a location where these Blue Flag's were in blossom. They were quite numerous as they were growing in a low lying wet area, directly adjacent to deeper water which was playing host to Bullhead water lilies. I revisited the same area yesterday, only to observe that each and every Large Blue Flag that had been in full bloom only days ago were completely finished.

However, the cycle continues as there are now many new blooms taking place, both with the Blue Flag's and the Bullheads.

279_7982-1.jpg

279_7969-1-1.jpg

I found these little beauties in the same area, but they seemed to all alone. Although I have thoroughly looked through my Wildflower guide, I can't identify it?

279_7978-1-1.jpg

These last ones are going ballistic in fields and meadows at this time. Once again, my guide has failed me again!!!

279_7962-1.jpg

Nice stuff, Stu. I love those wildflowers. Just can't seem to get enough of them!

The third one is a vetch (alien species that likes full sun). The last is a Canada anemone. How can a book on Canadian wildflowers not have the Canada anemone? gringrin

Just kidding. To this day I've found that the best overall wildflowers guide remains the Peterson Field Guides Series "Wildflowers of Northeastern/Northcentral North America". They even include flowers that say "eh?" gringrin