• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hair Loss

eric29

Anybody know what would be causeing hair loss in a dog. As of now she has starting losing it on her front elbows and her arm pits and pretty much her whole inside of her back legs and just starting to come around to the outside. She does also have some sort of rash on her belly but no where else. Im planing on getting her to the vet this week but hopin somebody had an idea here.

I thought of that but with mange there is always redness and scabby looking and she doesnt have that. Her only redness is on her belly which i think is something totally different than what is making her hair fall out.

How old is the dog and is she overweight? Dogs with thyroid issues can lose hair in those spots as well as dogs with Cushing's disease. Both develop in middle aged dogs and one of the first signs is a weight problem and hair loss in the groin and armpits. Could be allergies. Could still be mange depending on whether it's caused by demodex or sarcoptic mites. They cause different reactions. Could be nothing at all. My dog did the same thing. I went through all the tests and found out he just didn't want to grow hair in those spots. He was normal.

I second Soldiergirls thoughts... We have a golden retriever that had trouble with hair loss. Vet finally figured out it was a thyroid problem. She how gets pills twice a day and her coat is as nice as it has ever been.

I have a Choc lab who this happens to every spring and summer. It has to be some sort of allery. It usually starts on his belly being red and then hair loss starts in clumpy little spots. This year it is happening on his neck. For him I have ruled out thyroid because it happens the same time every year, mange because my other choc lab does not have any issues and there are always together. I always use and anti bacterial lotion on his red spots. This year I am using benedryl to see if it can help him with his scratching which isn't constant but he gets into it once he starts.

Took her to the vet and they said it is allergies most likely to the grass of all things! They gave me some spray and some pills. I too have a another dog her sistyer and she had no problems. Hopefully the stuff works.