Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Walleye35

Walleye at Big Creek in Polk City

5 posts in this topic

I would like to know if anyone can help me. I have been trying to catch some eating size walleye at Big Creek with my three boys and all I can seem to find is 11" fish. Can anyone give me some tips or an area that produces a little larger fish. We just want a couple of eaters, we will leave plenty of fish. Thanks for any help.

My best eating fish from that area has always came from the river. Cottenwood is my favorite spot for eyes once its fishable again. Years ago I fished BC alot but mainly for crappies and perch.

I haven't tried the river lately, for obvious reasons, I have seen some nice eater size walleye come out of BC and I can't for the life of me figure out where to find them. Several guys have told me it is a tough lake to fish for walleye unless someone shows or tells you where to go. I don't know if that is true, but I can't seem to locate any good eaters. We were in Canada last year and my 8y/o loved the walleye. He is wanting to catch one so bad he can taste it, no pun intended, so we live in Ankeny area and it is an easy trip. We have a map, we have tried jigging, lindy rigs, bottom bouncers, and some cranks. We have only picked up small walleye (11in) and crappie. I was hoping someone would have a little insight as to where they are laying this time of year. Thanks

I just wanted to thank everyone that has jumped in here with tips. Please keep them comming.

I am sure there are nice walleyes there but they are very pressured. You might try finding suspended fish out in open water. look for schools of baitfish with arches under neath on you electronics. Never tried it there but could be worth a shot. #9 Shad raps in Purpledescence have produced some Very nice largemouths in deeper water. But for better walleye fishing I would try the river. The state record 14lb 8oz walleye came out of the DesMoines in Polk county!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• My only concern is the timing of all of this. We seem to be loading up for a run in the next year or two but the Warriors are still sitting there stacked beyond belief.  Can we add enough and develop our young guys enough to be a legit threat to the Warriors.  Lebron, Irving, and Love barely made the Warriors break a sweat in the finals.  I'd like to see them time their final acquisitions to correspond with the end of the Warriors run. 
    • Maybe line up all the non-compliant VW's and gas 'em all out with diesel fumes. 
    • Glad Lavine is gone! Added nothing but slam dunks to the team. I've been out of town for the past week, so I was very delighted to hear about this trade today.
    • Not unless they ban the toothpick crossbow here too. Takes those beetles out clean.   
    • That's called seasoning. Two years ago I took a trip to Germany and we spent a few days in the black forest where I got to see some authentic old world smoke houses dating back to the 1500's and the amount of buildup on the walls, hooks, poles etc is part of what gives their hams,bacon and sausage their flavor. They use juniper wood for smoking. Absolutely delicious.  But yeah, foil, Pam and other things can help. You can also use a power washer to clean them.
    •   "We have found they do not like limburger cheese, hot dogs, or Makers Mark bourbon.  I am thankful for that."   Thanks for making my nite.  
    • Also woodpeckers beat on stuff to mark their territory.   I am pretty sure that there aren't any bugs on my metal downspouts.
    • You will often discover that birds are picking very small insects from decks and other woodwork around your house;  they do the same with trees and any other structure that might hold the bugs. We see them often on our decks and they usually pick a little bit and then move on,  perhaps just checking to see if there is anything edible there. These rascals also love hummingbird or oriole nectar, sunflower seeds and of course suet in winter. We have discovered  many species that will head straight for the nectar for orioles or hummingbirds and also plunge their beaks eagerly into the grape jam bowls orioles love. Birds will eat a greater variety than you might think. We have found they do not like limburger cheese, hot dogs, or Makers Mark bourbon.  I am thankful for that.
    • And pretty soon there'll be little chinese restaurants springing up everywhere...there goes the neighborhood. 
  • Our Sponsors