• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another generator ??

upnorth

Question

I stumbled on an off brand Generator called Boliy. The claim is 3000 watts continuous, and 3300 surge. All the report say it is a quiet as Honda or Yamaha. It is a China knock off and I can get it for a about $1000 delivered.

boliy-specifications.jpg

I found about it at an RV dealership and I am not sure if I want to go that route or stay with a smaller yamaha or honda.

Anyone have any experience with these or even thoughts about going with something like this as compared with the tried and true. As you can guess I am sitting on the fence on this.

I have not heard of them but I do have a great idea! You buy one and give us an initial report. Then a report at 30, 60 and 90 days. Then one more at the one year mark. If it turns out to be no good think of the satisfaction you'll have in helping other to not make the same purchase or if it turn out to be a good unit there will be even more satisfaction in helping people save a bunch of money! grin

Then we could have a thread called "let upnorth buy it" where you buy all kinds of stuff and let us know how it goes!! lol theres plenty of sarcasm here people!!! grin

What do you think upnorth?

I have not heard of them but I do have a great idea! You buy one and give us an initial report. Then a report at 30, 60 and 90 days. Then one more at the one year mark. If it turns out to be no good think of the satisfaction you'll have in helping other to not make the same purchase or if it turn out to be a good unit there will be even more satisfaction in helping people save a bunch of money! grin

Then we could have a thread called let "upnorth buy it" where you buy all kinds of stuff and let us know how it goes!! lol theres plenty of sarcasm here people!!! grin

What do you think upnorth?

I'm game, who wants to chip for the testing? cool

Being it is from China, I would say it would probably work...just not as long.

The phrase "you get what you pay for" might be in play with the unit having inferior parts there fore wearing out faster?

Then again, you could afford to buy 2 of these for the price of a Honda or Yamaha 3000 unit...almost

Honda Site the EU3000 is $1999 and from a internet site i found a yamaha EF3000iSE for $1799. these have 2 year warranties...

Quote:
Being it is from China, I would say it would probably work...just not as long.

The phrase "you get what you pay for" might be in play with the unit having inferior parts there fore wearing out faster?

That is where I am stuck on, the price is about half what you would pay of for the other big ones and there is a warranty, but they don't have the service network of Honda or Yamaha. And both Honda and Yamaha are about twice the weight as the Boliy too.

This may be a "sounds too good to be true". I have read a few reviews from people on RV forums and they seem to be good, but most have not had one very long, although one guy said he had close to 175 hours on one and has had no problems.

Something else that comes to mind is that Honda and Yamaha were not in the trustworthy manufactures when they first came out on the market. Any one else remember the phrase "Jap Cr@p"?

Hmmm... might be a fine unit. But, when something weighs 1/2 of the competition's units that have similar power ratings, it really makes me wonder where the power will come from, or how long it will last.

A year or two ago Consumer Reports did some generator testing, at that time, only the Honda generators consistently measured at or near their rated power. Most others fell considerably short of their power ratings. I don't believe there were any Yamahas in the mix at the time.

$800 is a fair chunk of change cheaper, but what price is peace of mind worth? We don't really know in this case.

Here's my take. The $800.00 saving has to come from somewhere.

-1/2 the weight? means 1 of 2 things, cheaper lighter parts or space age materials (I think not)

- It is usually the little things that [PoorWordUsage] you off on a piece of equiptment and is overlooked. Does it start well in the cold, does it have a gas saver system that auto adjusts for load, does it get to hot, etc etc.

I have allot of exp. with the cheaper Asian products and IMO there is almost always something inferior to them in materials and or design.

Yeah, if you set it up in the next county grin I used one of those on a house boat and we had to put 2 50' extension cords together and run it out in the woods a 100' to tolerate it.

I bought a small Chinese made generator. It didn't like to start when it was below about 40 degrees and I had to use starting fluid to get it running. It worked fine when I got it running, but was kind of noisy with a load on it. I havae a bad shoulder and couldn't take the 15 pulls to get it going. It had a recall on it and I left several messages per day for a couple of weeks at the number they gave to call about the recall. I emailed the main importer about the recall several times and got no responce from either the recall number or from my emails. I now own a Honda and am very satisfied with it. From my experience I would tell you to stay away from it unless you have a good network for support in your area.

Yeah, if you set it up in the next county grin I used one of those on a house boat and we had to put 2 50' extension cords together and run it out in the woods a 100' to tolerate it.

Ok I will throw in a couple 50' extension cords grin And a set of ear plugs!

I would ask, "what if you are out in the boon docks camping and it wouldn't start or burned out?" It just ruined your vacation.

If it was me, i'd go with the tried and true and a piece of mind to boot.

There were some folks talking about them on a RV forum. No one had anything really bad to say about them, pretty much as has been talked about on this thread, not on the market long enough for anyone to have any real trust. I would feel a bit better about it but most have said when they did need help or had questions it was a struggle to get answers.

Just bought a 5th wheel and will need to make up my mind and purchase something pretty soon. I think I am going with the yamaha.

Let us know how that Yamahopper works.

I'm probably going to get one this fall. leaning toward the yamaha right now also. Just dont know if i need the 2400 or if i might eventually put AC in my trailer.

I have a 2000 silverado 2500 with the 6.0l, just got it.

My Nephew has a Yamaha 2400 and he can run his air conditioner so that is what I am leaning to. Weight is an issue as sometimes my wife goes camping with her friends and I need something a couple of them can lift out of the box without breaking something. And I don't see us sitting in the RV running the air and expecting to run the microwave.