• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance 332 freeze ups

Whopper Stopper

Question

I have a 332 that has been a love-hate relationship since day one. My latest problem is that the map page(gps)freezes up from time to time. The unit comes out of it after about 2-3 minutes but it is very frustrating. It seems too do it at crucial times. I know it was talked about on here a few times but I have not been able to find much. I am just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to fix or at least reduce the instances. Yep I have thought about the shotgun. Any help is very appreciated!

WS

6 answers to this question

Freeze up, as in looses it's GPS signal?

Does it give you a warning that it has lost signal?

So...you have to re-start it to get it working again...for a while..than it will act up again...sound familiiar?

If so, than if it is behind a windshield the internal GPS receiver for the GPS is having difficulty locking in.

Solution: Move it or add a external GPS module. (Adding the module is the best plan)

There may be an update avalabe from Lowrance that may help too? Try their web site or call the tech's and see what they say.

I agree with some of what Ed said, if you are "freezing" on the map page you are probably losing the gps signal. You should have a pop-up that says position lost, or you could check the satellite status screen to verify this.

You can try updating the software in your 332, there was a new update out this spring. Lots of guys complain about the updates, however I have done every update for my 332s when they've come out and had no problems or complaints.

Also, update the software for your LGC-2000 module, and do that update prior to updating the software in the 332.

Another idea is to make sure your unit is not set to require WAAS.

Where is your antenna mounted in relation to your 332 unit? Are they within 3 feet of each other? Is anything blocking the antenna?

What happens is that the position arrow and the map just locks up. Eventually when it snaps out of it the whole map will rotate getting you back to your curren position. I hope that is clear enough. Thanks for the tips. It get frustrating when you are following along a dotted trail or lake contour and you notice the map locked up and it is worthless to your current position. I have done the updates. I have my puck up front plenty far from the unit. It seems when it has this spell I am often drifting. Speed brings it out of it, but when you are following a break line it isn't handy to open the throttle up to jar it back to reality. I was just hoping someone knew a quick fix. Thanks again!

ws

Sorry if I missed your answer, but when the map display "just locks up" are you still getting a good gps reading and a good gps position, or have you lost your position? Sounds to me like your gps is losing it's position then getting it back???? If that's not the case then obviously something else is going on.

Which map chip are you having this problem with? Have you tried another map chip to see if that cures it?

I have a Lakemaster chip in it. I have never went to the satellite status screen to check signal. Normally when signal is lost a pop up tells me or else the position arrow blinks. With this lock up problem I don't get either of these warnings. I will try the satellite page next time. Thanks again for your help!

WS