• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sprit Lake

I have been fishing Big Sprit several times each summer for several years. This year has been my slowest walleye year ever. Is it just me or has others had a tough time too? I am positive the numbers of fish are good and the revamped slot should also help with bigger fish. I am scratching my head. have I lost my touch, have I always gone today when I should have been their yesterday?

I normaly do well there also but for the first time I have lived here I blanked on walleyes there myself. I hit all my go to spots, tried everything that should work, has worked and things that were way off base. I know I'm out of the loop so to speak since I aquired a muskie fetish and have put eyes on the side burner. But yes it is slower than normal and I can't explain why. I know they are in there I saw them all winter under the ice.

From everything that I have heard the walleye fishing has been slow. Yes they are still there and they are getting bigger. They must have had a huge perch hatch last year we seen and caught too many to count and I think it might have something to do with the walleye fishing.

I agree with you perchpounder about the perch hatch. While ice fishing there were ooodles of those little 2-3" perch everywhere. I haven't fished on spirit for walleyes since the first part of may but have not heard of any good reports this year. The forage base will really affect the bite on any given lake.

Well theres still Walleyes in Spirit. Pulled bouncers and spinners from 6-noon, got alot of shorts and 1 keeper along with many short hits. Switched to lead and cranks from noon till 6 got 2 more keeper 1 slot and a dozen or so perch, 4 we kept that were 10"+ Color didn't seem to matter as we caught them on Raps, Salmo Hornets and Bullheads. Only cranks that didn't produce were the Flicker Shads. Boated 35 or so fish total lost several. All in all a good outing. We stayed deep 18' +

Leeches and Gulp Alive, crawlers rarley are in my boat although I did drag one around all morning for 1 fish. Waters starting to green up but its not bad. Never has been "clear" this year yet. I'm taking Saturday off to go watch Tom Knapp shoot then back to trolling for supper on Sunday on Spirit again.

Good day today, wife and I both got our limits along with 1 slot and 30+ shorts released. Kept 6 between 14.5" and 16.75" DNR creel guy was at the ramp when we loaded out they looked surprised at both our quality and numbers caught. I don't think he belived our release numbers till I offered to show him all the X icons on the GPS from the day. Trolled the West side with lead and cranks again, only today they wanted basicly 1 style crank.