Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1850Sportfish

Deep Water Musky Fishing......how do you do it?

9 posts in this topic

Being a fairly new Musky fisherman i have spent about the last 4-5 years fishing 10 FOW or less and I would like to get more into trying some of the deeper spots on some lakes that are holding some monsters. I have mostly top water lures so lure recommendations would be helpful and if any one has any techniques that would be appreciated. Thanks and hope to see you on the water!!

Even if you are fishng muskies out over open water, you are still looking at only having to get a bait down to the 10-15 foot range, as even over open water the muskies will be suspended. Key is to find the baitfish schools and get down to the depth that they are at. You want to basically troll right through the schools.

For other structure, you can fish many, many different lures that will come through the water deeper. For examples, a bucktail with a willowleaf blade is going to come in a lot deeper than that with a Colorado blade. Putting some extra weight on the bucktails will of course make it run in deeper as well. You can use weighted versions of the different jerkbaits out there, or countdown versions, to get the bait coming in deeper. Crankbaits will always come in deep and are great for working deeper structure.

The thing to remember is that you don't need to get as deep as the fish themselves. If it is close enough for them to see, feel or hear the bait, they will come to get it. When the bite is really shut down is when you will need to put the bait right in front of their noses. I have raised fish with topwater over 15-20 feet of water. As long as they can find the bait, they will come and eat it.

Jakes and Grandma's are great pulled over deep water. We've pulled them in 33 feet and 118 feet. Try to match the hatch.. If you see giant school of 'bees suspended, try the giant white and silver Grandma's... etc..

Good luck, it's relaxing and if you get fish, they're usually good ones!

I'm just starting to troll open water for skis and I think my main problem is get the baits to run shallow enough. Seems like even my shallow cranks run 15-20 ft with a 100 or so yards out. I just bought a big (#13) Shad Rap thinking it would run shallow and according to the Rapala trolling guide it runs 15-20 ft with 75-100 yards out.

Hmmm...

Try 75 - 100 FEET of line and not yards. The more line you have out, the deeper it allows the bait to run. Bring it back into the boat more, and don't forget about having a bait run right in the propwash.

I was on sugar today and noticed several big archs in a 40 ft hole and only had time to make one pull but talked to a guy who landed a 47.5"er out of that same hole this a.m. Fish where suspended at 18-21 fow just below the bait pods.

Well I'm only guess because it seems this Rapala line counter I bought doesn't work so hot...

Two weeks ago I need to move between points and instead of just putting it in gear and zipping right over, I tossed out the 13" Grandma and trolled it right off the first point and across the deep water at 7 mph toward the second. The lure was running around 22 feet over 35 feet of water. About ripped the rod out of my hands when a 38" pike whacked it as I ran over a pod of baitfish holding about 15-20'. Find the baitfish, find the big fish. No musky but still a riot.