Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishin Dan

Putting a Floor in a boat

6 posts in this topic

I have a 14' deep v boat that i want to put a floor in and i was wondering if anyone here has done this? How hard is it? Any tips or problems you ran into? i just dont want to dive into something that i cant do. Any help would be great. Thanks

I did this in my 14ft aluminum boat and felt it was well worth it. It didn't take me long and made it possible to stand up in the boat without feeling like a circus act. I had 3 bench seats and used 5/8 inch treated plywood. I used a cheap thin carpet so that the wood could breath as well as I didn't seal the wood with anything. To support the floor I used angle aluminum riveted to the vertical aluminum of the benches, then I used rivets again to hold the floor on to the angle aluminum I attached to the benches. I also put a couple of pieces of treated 1x2's to support the middle of the floor in a couple of the larger areas. This worked great for me and I did it in an afternoon.

I did something similar with my 14ft semi vee last year except I used 1/2" plywood and 2"x2"s. Bought some short nap indoor/outdoor carpet, adhesive and a notch trowel, borrowed a heavy floor roller...worked like a charm. HUGE upgrade for my lil' fishin boat. Makes it feel livable! smile

If you use treated plywood, make sure it isn't ACQ or AC2 treated. The alkaline copper quaternary formulas corode aluminum if they are in contact with each other.

From Universal Forest Products Web site:

" • Aluminum should not be used in direct contact with ACQ (Alkaline Copper Quaternary) pressure-treated wood

Spacer materials or other physical barriers are recommended to prevent direct contact of ACQ pressure-treated wood and aluminum products."

For the last 5 years most of the treated plywood in MN. is ACQ or AC2.

Spacer materials or other physical barriers are recommended to prevent direct contact of ACQ pressure-treated wood and aluminum products." THATS THE KEY

Do a search in this forum and also the boats and motors forum for this topic. There are hundreds of posts that will give you all kinds of great info on the subject. Good luck with the project.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Black Hills Spruce are doing very well with the clay and other competing trees in our yard.  The Colorado Blues are doing OK with the soil, but they sure like space, air, and non-compete areas of full day sun.  
    • We see the gray cheeked thrush once in a while, first time this spring. First sighting in the yard for the Eastern Phobe so checked it off in the book.  
    • Well my team didn't do too bad I had 3 make it to day 3 (Dean Rojas finished 54th), and 2 fished Sunday.  I actually landed in the 96th percentile for the tournament and bumped me up to 80.1% as of now.
    • no mulch expert but i wouldnt think so, unless the mulch has die in it!!!!!!!! yea i have a lawn, i dont bag my clippings. i rake it up by had.....like hard workin union guys do ....... but dont ever get near enough!!!!!!!
    • The Cheffrey recipe that thirdeye talks about is a good one.  it's a little work but it turns out great - cooking the fillets before hand allows for easy flaking of the fish and makes for a shorter cooking time.  They're VERY filling, like thirdeye says, can only eat about 2 at a time.  i like to whip-up a little chipotle ranch-type dipping sauce for these as well.
    •   You don't have a lawn? 
    •   Sure thing! FYI, I skipped the netting and just put the ham on a rack. Worked just fine. Good luck!
    • @Haug  that was for hunterdown...  
    • congrats, great bird and pix
    • Another great week to start off the open water fishing season! Fishing has been consistent even with the ever changing weather last week. Some boats still catching over 100 fish in a day, weeding through small fish to find good keeper walleyes and saugers. Key depths around 17-24' of water. Good fishing all across south shore. Fish are responsive to most kinds of bait right now but jig and a minnow is the best presentation with pink and gold jigs standing out.  Some anglers pulling spinners.  Others hit reefs in 25-30', also good. Jumbo perch and pike mixed in all over the lake.     Walleyes are still in the Rainy River but fishing has slowed besides a good morning bite. Most walleyes have headed back to the lake but some remain in the river. Same as the lake, a jig and a minnow have been best tactic for boating walleyes.  Sturgeon fishing is closed until July 1st.   Up at the NW Angle, anglers are hammering fish.  Many have limits before lunch.  Fish are all over islands such as Oak Island and Little Oak. Jig and a minnow up at the angle is the go to method. Gaining steam is trolling with cranks in the shallows or pulling spinners to keep baits moving. Colors should include chartreuse, pink, glow colors and some gold. Key depths ranged from 16-26' of water. Crappies can be found in Canada in 20' of water with sandy bays. Pike being found in current areas. Many smallmouth bass found with walleyes. 
  • Our Sponsors