• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Putting a Floor in a boat

Fishin Dan

Question

I have a 14' deep v boat that i want to put a floor in and i was wondering if anyone here has done this? How hard is it? Any tips or problems you ran into? i just dont want to dive into something that i cant do. Any help would be great. Thanks

5 answers to this question

I did this in my 14ft aluminum boat and felt it was well worth it. It didn't take me long and made it possible to stand up in the boat without feeling like a circus act. I had 3 bench seats and used 5/8 inch treated plywood. I used a cheap thin carpet so that the wood could breath as well as I didn't seal the wood with anything. To support the floor I used angle aluminum riveted to the vertical aluminum of the benches, then I used rivets again to hold the floor on to the angle aluminum I attached to the benches. I also put a couple of pieces of treated 1x2's to support the middle of the floor in a couple of the larger areas. This worked great for me and I did it in an afternoon.

I did something similar with my 14ft semi vee last year except I used 1/2" plywood and 2"x2"s. Bought some short nap indoor/outdoor carpet, adhesive and a notch trowel, borrowed a heavy floor roller...worked like a charm. HUGE upgrade for my lil' fishin boat. Makes it feel livable! smile

If you use treated plywood, make sure it isn't ACQ or AC2 treated. The alkaline copper quaternary formulas corode aluminum if they are in contact with each other.

From Universal Forest Products Web site:

" • Aluminum should not be used in direct contact with ACQ (Alkaline Copper Quaternary) pressure-treated wood

Spacer materials or other physical barriers are recommended to prevent direct contact of ACQ pressure-treated wood and aluminum products."

For the last 5 years most of the treated plywood in MN. is ACQ or AC2.

Do a search in this forum and also the boats and motors forum for this topic. There are hundreds of posts that will give you all kinds of great info on the subject. Good luck with the project.