• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fish locator

dairyman

Most use Lowrance/Eagle but Garmin and now Hummingbird is coming up. Get what you can afford and what will work for you and dont worry about brand. All 3 make a good graph/gps in many price ranges.

I would be looking to find a graph that is color, first and foremost. Color has made a huge difference for me, and I highly recommend you getting color of any brand.

Color is so helpful in picking those fish off of the bottom.

I have a Lowrance 27C in my boat and it's awesome, but in many ways a 522C would have made a lot more sense. I think Reed's Sports in Walker sells them with both transducers in the package, but even if they don't and you have to buy them separate, just not having to transfer waypoints from machine to machine summer to winter is worth something.

I dont know what to think about lowrance.. yes they make great units, but i have heard so many people have such bad customer service with them. i myself had terrible customer service with my H2O, and that is only a $200 unit. I would hate to have the same problems with a $650 unit. It seams stuff just does not last as long these days, so thats why i will buy something based on customer service. I hope to read some posts in the future of people happy with lowrance customer service, because I would love to get one, but wont until I know they will stand behind thier product

Lookin4fish, I have always had great service with Lowrance. From getting my computer set up with mapping software to having to fix units. They always done a wonderful job and have backed each of my units 100%. I have a hard time switching to another company just because Lowrance has always taken care of me so well.

glad to hear some positive expierences. just one question, you are not "pro staff" are you? just wondering if they help out thier kind quicker than the average joe. my h20 quite after 2 months of use. it took 5 days of calling lowrance to get past hold. i would wait in upwards of 1.5 hours on hold. when i did get someone, they told me my unit was just fine, over the phone, even though i was the one hold the unit and could not get it to get a fix under the clear blue sky. after much protest, they agreed i could send it in. after 2 months without anyone contacting me or returning my phone messages, i got a call that said my unit could not be repaired and they would send me a refurbished one. the summer was mostly gone buy that time. 6 months later the refurbished one stopped working, and you can start at the top of this post, and follow what happened there. In the end i got a replacement but after about 4 months without a unit and anywhere form 6-10 hours on hold for the 2 instances, i do not think that this is customer service i can trust. I know things can change and am not opposed to trying again if a reputation has changed, but i dont want to find out the hard way after dropping a large amount of money. again, i am glad others are having good luck with them and i hope to hear more

I am going to ditch my LCX 27c for a Humminbird or others. I had enough of Lowrance bad customer service and problem units. Don't get me wrong, I had their products for many years, and I've been very happy, it's the last 2 units that are driving me nuts. $ 1500 in electronics got beaten by an old Humminbird Wide Eye last week. I've had nothing but bad luck with my 27c, the unit is practically a display of colors on top of my boat dash, more or less like disco lights. It looks great, but that's all it does.

I know my next unit will be a Humminbird, or maybe a Garmin if will be competitive.

Lookin4fish, I have found that if you call early in the week you'll be on hold forever. If you call later in the week you won't be on hold for as long. Also if you leave a message they're pretty good at getting back to you in a timely matter.

I had an LMS 350A that I was having issues with and they rebuilt it for me. Then a few years later I was having screen issues and tried to have it rebuilt again. They said they could do it but parts were no longer available and I'd have to wait until a junk 350 came in and there was no definite date when that would be. In the end Lowrance ended up upgrading me to an LCX 15mt.

Other than having to wait on hold forever, I've also had very good service from Lowrance the few times I've needed to talk to them. So far so good.

I know some guys on their pro staff, and those guys do not get bumped to the front of the list or get prefential treatment. When Lowrance was way behind with their networking components the pro staff guys had to wait as long as any average joe to get the stuff they needed.

I am going to ditch my LCX 27c for a Humminbird or others. I had enough of Lowrance bad customer service and problem units. Don't get me wrong, I had their products for many years, and I've been very happy, it's the last 2 units that are driving me nuts. $ 1500 in electronics got beaten by an old Humminbird Wide Eye last week. I've had nothing but bad luck with my 27c, the unit is practically a display of colors on top of my boat dash, more or less like disco lights. It looks great, but that's all it does.

I know my next unit will be a Humminbird, or maybe a Garmin if will be competitive.

Wow. I haven't ever had to call customer service, as my 27c has performed flawlessly, but what you're describing doesn't even sound like the same unit. I turn mine on, exit out of the warning pages, move it to split screen, and then watch to little arrow move around the lake on one side and the bottom on the other. Nothing could be simpler. There aren't any disco lights -- no flashy stuff at all. When I find fish, I turn the boat around in a circle over my track, or drive right back over it. Sometimes I wonder how I ever managed to fish without it. That map puts what I'm seeing on the bottom into context.

Well I have been a Lowrance/Eagle guy for years and was looking to get a new color graph/gps unit. Just didnt have $1500 around for what I thought I wanted in a new color unit. Along came a Humminbird 957c for under $500 and I jumped on it. Man this thing has a lot of bang for the buck. Even at full price. Im mounting it tomorrow and I will report back on thoghts after I run it for a week or 2. If I can figure out half of what it can do and it works as said I will be very very happy.

Just in case I mounted my old trusty X-15 on the bow.