• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What size bullet?

What would you recomend? A co-worker is going up to MN this Fall to hunt bear over bait. I will be loaning her my M70 in .308. I was thinking about loading her some 150 gr. grand slams or partitions, but have seen where some people prefer 180 gr. bullets for penetration and improved sectional density. I went with the 150's because I think that she may be a bit recoil sensitive, but the most important factor is a clean kill. There is also the compromise 165 gr. I have never hunted bear, so I am asking those with experience to help me out. BTW, I am loading a bunch of 110 gr. loads for her to practice with, hopefully the light loads will make her want to practice more. Thanks, Dave

150-165-180 - those are all good. For bear, I would lean towards the heavier side.

You hit on the most important poins in practice, and quality bullet construction. Partition and grand slams are excellent oices, as are Barnes.

For practice, I like to use a scoped 22 for keeping sharp, with a few rounds at the end of the session through the big rifle.

Does the gun have a scope? If so, make sure she practices close range shots - sitting at a bait - some are within 15 yards and its pretty tough if a bear us under your stand.

Good point. It has a 2X7 wide angle scope. I told her she should probably leave it on the low end. My concern with the scope is that it only has a 32mm objective. I hope it will be bright enough in the woods with low light conditions. Dave

Make sure she shoots it a few times. Is the recoil going to be an issue for her? If so you should consider lightening up. I don't think they're all that hard to put down and the worse thing that could happen is a flinch due to the recoil issue.

She hit 8 out of ten powerade bottles from 70 yards on Sunday. She said she couldn't feel the recoil difference between the 150's and 180's. I told her the worst thing would be to make a bad hit. She is a good shot, so at the ranges she will be shooting, the only thing to afect her will be bear fever. Dave