Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
harvey lee

A few things to remember in the boat

21 posts in this topic

I recieved my first ticket fishing or hunting in over 40 years. Thank God it was a warning. Fishing the Minnesota last night we had a visitor around 8 pm. He checked for our licenses, fire ext.,life jackets, whistle or air horn and on and on and then asked where my throwable was. Thats where I was in trouble as I didn't have one in the boat. I will next time as he was kind enough to give this fool a warning.

The Conservation officers are on the river and are really checking everything so have all your ducks in a row as one may not get as lucky as I did.

Yes, we did catch a few flatheads and Scott did get his third KOTC flathead. I had a good time Scott and lets do it again.

Scotts 30x17 flathead.

scootsflathead004.jpg

Good advice Tom. Thanks for the heads up.

Personally, I feel like I'm always forgetting something. Batteries, cooler, fishing gear, radio, plug in, blah, blah, blah....One forgets to check for the important stuff like fire extinguisher (charged), throwable, and.......life jackets. ( grin)

Nice to know the CO's are out there. Not only protecting the resource but keeping us safe, also.

Tom,

Good to hear you just got the warning. Same thing, only on ML happened to me about 7-8 years ago. Ever since it is programed into my mind to take it out at launch when getting ready.

NadT9z1aqYYCdADYPWYe-L1UFlvHJIjA0300.jpg

Funny thing was, I had my throwable under the console you see in the image (by the rain gear). This is not even good enough for a C.O... I was told nothing could be over it, it has to be out, then I got my written warning. A couple years ago I swaped my butt pad bass seat for the drivers seat (like to sit on my knee at times, while running the river and the capt. chair is nicer up front) and every time I launch my throwable comes out, because I think about that warning I got on ML.

Sounds like I missed a good night to be out on the river. Good to hear you guys got inot some fish.

Scott told me he likes to wear his camo hat when flathead fishing so they don't see him. I don't think it worked but the bugs liked the camo deal.

Nice fish Scott. You filled all the blank and that is pretty good feeling is it not grin

It was a good time fishing with Tom. Another GORGEOUS night on the river. Twins come back and win on the A.M. dial, we get a few bites and fish, the bugs stay away, the stars come out....If you can't get excited for that what can you?

I managed to catch the flathead with male pattern baldness and grow a tree out of my head.

Remember that throwable cushion when you get in the boat!

Hey...

warnings are that... just an eye opener to keep us in tip top shape... to keep all of us safe

thanks for passing on... I try to remember to keep the throwable out but its easy to over look.

Nice fish..

As a side note.... That fish looked like it was pretty worn on the top.... (looks like matching fresh sores) Think it was diggin???

I would think it would not want to dig anymore with those sores. Looks like it hurts to me.

I would think it would not want to dig anymore with those sores. Looks like it hurts to me.

Me too... But with the Mrs... crackin the whip... I wonder if old boy might keep goin till he grinds through the skull plate...

OUCH>>>>>

I have all but fire extinguisher??? It must be required on USCC controled waters,or is it lakes controled by sheriff DNR also??

I have all but fire extinguisher??? It must be required on USCC controled waters,or is it lakes controled by sheriff DNR also??

Its only a requirement if you have a sealed gas tank, If you use cans your good to go.

Originally Posted By: sparcebag

Its only a requirement if you have a sealed gas tank, If you use cans your good to go.

I know I paid under $15 for mine. Why not just get one and avoid the hassle if you get stopped. Plus, it's not like it's a bad thing to have it on the boat with you. cool

While I would never recommend NOT having one, when you have a small 14’ boat, space really starts to be a premium.

Cooler for bait, large tote that holds needed extras (prop, tools, lights) tackle bag, clothes bag, landing net, life jackets, paddle, anchors. Throw in another person+gear, and it starts getting pretty tight.

I bought my PFD class 1V today and also purchased a new whistle. Now they can check me all they would like.

Quote:

You need one no matter what in MI (I know, I know....this is fishing minnesota)......just in case anyone is heading that way over the 4th.

Quote:
also purchased a new whistle. Now they can check me all they would like.

Did they let the whistle/horn slide Tom grin

I removed my mechanical horn this spring to make room on my dash for other goodies. Since my boat is over 16', I then went out and bought a whistle to meet these regulations requirements.

I told them I had one and I did but after they left, I could not find it so, I bought another.