• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

July Challenge - Water Activities

The voting is in and the challenge is Water Activities .

We should see a lot of photos from the upcoming holiday! Remember to review the guidelines before posting

Rules found here

ONE entry per month please, the shot must be taken in July of 2008 and if you want C&C please indicated that in your post.

Please only photos and critiques and comments in this thread. If you have questions start a new thread to ask any questions so we can keep this clean with entries only. Remember this is open for everyone, not just owners of DSLR's. Point and shoots, disposable cameras... equipment does not matter. This is about learning new skills and getting you looking at a subject in a different light possibly. Choose your entry wisely, remember you only get ONE entry. Thanks and good luck to all!

Looks like I'll break the ice (no pun intended grin)! We spent the day on the St. Croix and had a picnic at Afton State Park. As soon as I took this one I told the wife it might be good enough for this challenge. C & C is definitely welcome!!

wateractivity-2.jpg

Great shot, jer! Kid's having a whopper of a good time.

If you have post processing software like photoshop or photoshop elements, you can bring out more detail by brightening the shadowed portions of his face/body using the shadow/highlight feature, which on my CS2 is a pulldown from the "Image" toolbar and then under "adjustments."

Neat shot, man. gringrin

I love the shot, it fits the challenge to a tee. Steve's suggestions on shadow recovery is my only CC for your shot.

If you are using CS2 another tool I find works better for a lot of shadow recovery issues is the Art History brush. Set to Screen and 20% opacity and paint your shadows lighter. I find it doesn't introduce noise as harshly as Shadow recovery and you have the added benefit of using only where you want to use it, its not global.

I am finally getting around to processing some of the shots from over the 4th so here is my entry. I have all kinds of pictures of kids screaming flying on tubes, wake boarding, knee boarding, etc. but this is really one of my favorites from the weekend.

My daughter and my dog just out enjoying the lake. My dog thinks riding on the tube is the next best thing to actually fetching something from the water. One of the nicest 4th of July's I can recall.

ISO 320, f3.5, 1/2000s, +1/3 EC in Av mode. Shot with a 70-200/2.8 at 190mm. Handheld while driving a tiller in a VERY bouncy boat crazy I'm glad we have a cabin on a small un-crowded lake.

329860052_ZJxrq-L.jpg

I keep forgetting about these monthly challenges. Those are somne neat shots, folks. Mike, that panning shot is really cool.

Dan, you talked about an Art History Brush in CS2. How does this differ from the dodge tool?

Ok Folks Here is my Shot. Taken handheld with a Canon XTI 100-400L. f6.7, ISO 200, 1/750 sec.

C&C Welcome

Shot was taken while standing on Shore watching the Young Life camp pull the kids around Tubeing, Wake Boarding, Parasailing, and sailboating. This was my favorite of the series because it shows the action of the wipeout.

100260747.jpg

Got this one on a canoe trip with my wife and parents on the Yellow River in central Wisconsin. It's a great little stretch of river for canoeing-- a small rapids around every corner, and just enough water to pick a path through with a little skill and luck. My plastic canoe navigated the rocks much better than the aluminum one shown in the pic, so I had plenty of time to snap pictures while waiting at the bottom grin (I was a good son, we swapped canoes soon after this.) I'm just thankful my parents are still limber enough to do these activities.

P.S. A tip for you: It's a little scary canoeing a rapids with a DSLR on board. I kept it in a tightly latched cooler in case we tipped.

Canon 20D, Sigma 70-210, 210mm, f2.8, 1/640, ISO 100. Didn't bother with post processing.

IMG_8826.jpg

The end of the month is approaching us fast! Its been a great month for water activities, lets see some more work! Thanks to all so far for participating, some very nice submissions.

Just got back from a much needed vacation on Sunday, and finally finished looking at all 583 photos.

I love the carefree exhuberance that the kids show while jumping off the dock, trying for "style points" with their cannonballs.

This shot was handheld, on sports mode, to make sure to catch my daughter in midair.

2695026327_67a04cd97c_o.jpg

Not being a big fan of the noise and disruption to peace caused by personal watercraft, I nevertheless took several series' of photos of them this last week while we were at the lake cabin for a family reunion.

I have one I think is a better image of one of these jet skis circling the other when the other was swamped and the folks were trying to get back on it, but it's such a strong panoramic that it won't do well displayed online, so this is the one I submit for the monthly challenge. I like the synchronicity of the two PW, as well as the grins on the kids toward the left side of the image.

Canon 30D, Canon 400 f5.6L, iso200, 1/640 at f5.6, Al servo focus mode, center focus point, handheld

2697006465_c86d1920d9_o.jpg