• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

TOOLS

ikeslayer

So i call any fishing equipment a tool. No this post isn't about some moron who we have nicknamed a tool. So here is my question. i fish out of a ol blue crestliner it gets it done but is starting to get tired. So would you:

A - Save up for a new boat and then not afford to be able to put much for electronics or any other amnenities.

OR

B - Keep fixing ol blue and put nice new stuff on it (like a new trolling motor, motor, GPs, etc)? i feel like if i do this it would like putting spinners on a 88 omni.

Just curious as to what other TOOLS bass guys would invest in at a situation like this.

ike

I came into a similar situation with my dad and I. He owns an older Smokercraft, definitely not a bass boat, but with the addition of a high powered trolling motor and some great electronics, it really works well for us during our tournaments. I'd suggest bulking up on electronics and trolling motors, that way you can keep saving a bit and eventually transfer the motor and electronics onto a new boat. Just my thoughts.

Save up and buy a very good USED boat.. I haven't ever bought a new boat yet.. maybe some day? But I have bought some great used boats in my day.

x2 look around and find a good used fishing boat alot of them come with electronics and good motors

Ike

I fish out of a 1969 14 ft alumacraft with an 8 horse. I've mounted a slightly used stern mount Minnkota trolling motor on my bow with some rigging, I put new Humingbird electronics in it, bought a H20 ifinder with a lake master chip for an up grade from my etrex legend GPS. I've done all the jazzing up I'm going to do with this tool though. It does the job and I usually do well BUT.... I am now officially looking for a big time upgrade (as most boats would be) and am planning on buying a nice used boat next spring. I would take Dietz's advice and save up some money (as I have been doing) and look for something used. Some of the tools you have in your crestliner you very well will be able to add to whatever comes with your purchase.

What Dietz and ebby said. Your almost at a catch 22. If you stock up on trolling moters and graphs on old boat by the time you get a new boat epuipment may be out of date or not working,the way the quality now a days Id pick not working.

Buy something thats been proven. It will take a lot of research and time but those boats are out there.

I've been limping my '81 Alumacraft along over the years by redoing the floor, new carpeting, fishfinder, and finally this year a trolling motor. The plan is to someday get a nicer used boat, but for now it suits me just fine. It's small enough to use easily on my own.

It sounds like I'm the only one here, but I say keep your old boat, as long as she's reliable, and stock her with the bells and whistles you've always wanted. Better to sit in an old apartment with nice things than in a mansion with no furniture. If you buy an accessory here and there, you'll be fully stocked and can still save money for a new boat. No sense in settling for less now when you can wait a little longer and have it all wink