• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

This doesn't mean I won't quit fishing

DTro

But........all the sudden the big girls are MIA.

75 degrees water temp and nothing but little tykes out roaming around.

Wonder what that could mean wink

We did have over 10 runs last night and only hooked up with 3. All 3 of those fish were under 10lbs and my guess was the missed fish were about the same size.

If you want some action it might be prudent to downsize your baits/hooks. At least you'll be able to connect with the little fellas.

Do you think the bite has been related to the spawn or the rapidly dropping water levels?? Jordan Gauge is down 5' now from Saturday evening. She's dropping a foot a day! The flatties are obviously going to be adjusting to their new surroundings as long as the bathtub is unplugged.

Guess my hunch is the rapidly dropping water level is having a greater impact right now on the fishing than anything.

But, I've been wrong before...

Do you think the bite has been related to the spawn or the rapidly dropping water levels?? Jordan Gauge is down 5' now from Saturday evening. She's dropping a foot a day! ...

Guess my hunch is the rapidly dropping water level is having a greater impact right now on the fishing than anything.

But, I've been wrong before...

My guess is that the bigger fish are spawning. Water temps are up there, and they have to spawn eventually, right? Plus we've seen marks on the fish already, so there's evidence that the spawn is starting.

I think if it was just fish relating to different structures, one would get skunked or have a very slow night. Reports now are that there's action out there, but the fish are all small. I believe that if you're catching flatheads of any size with any consistency at all, you're in a perfectly fine spot -- there SHOULD be some big ones around, because they all eat the same stuff. The reason behind the big ones not biting and the small ones biting is something besides location -- i.e. the swawn.

I'm not a guru, but hey -- everyone has theories.

Same thing on the St Croix, water was 76 degrees and coming down fast. Tuesday night one small 26" flathead on cut bullhead and last night one Tini tiny 18" flat on a live bullhead. I also got one 21" channel and a giant Bowfin (both on cut bullhead). That Bowfin had a nasty disposition - he swallowed the circle hook so I just cut the line and let him go where ever he wanted to go - Nasty critters.

I was hoping to get another week of prespawn fishing in but we may be seeing the start.

If you want some action it might be prudent to downsize your baits/hooks. At least you'll be able to connect with the little fellas.

You talking 5" bullhead with an 8/0 hook? or smaller?

I'm heading out tonight and I'll be happy catching a few smaller ones. We got a 5 and a 10lber on Monday out of Kato.

You talking 5" bullhead with an 8/0 hook? or smaller?

Tyler - I fish circle hooks for flats and I've downsized my bullheads too. I'm running 5/0 to 8/0 Kamakatsu Octopus Circle Hooks using 4" or 5" bullheads. That hook size seems to match up pretty well with that size bullhead - I like the 5/0 for the smaller bullheads. My favorite bullhead pond is full of those smaller bullies - they are perfect for cut bait and on the 5/0 hook stay active when fished alive for flats. I haven't had any trouble with hook ups on circle hooks so I'm going to stay with them.

I also got one 21" channel and a giant Bowfin (both on cut bullhead). That Bowfin had a nasty disposition - he swallowed the circle hook so I just cut the line and let him go where ever he wanted to go - Nasty critters.

Are you suppose to keep the bowfins or kill and throw away. I have heard both anyone know the truth

I'm not sure what you mean by throw away. A bowfin is a rough fish and the fishing regulations are very specific about disposing of rough fish. Page 53, 2008 Minnesota Fishing Regulations:

- Speared or dead rough fish may not be returned to the water or left on the ice or banks of any lake or stream.

They are actually a lot of fun to catch - they fight like crazy. I don't know why you would want to kill one. I hope this one lives to get even bigger - he is an ornery cuss.

Good ones Darren and John. It's good to see that there's still nicer sized flatties biting now and then.

We were parked basically on shore and my dog saw what we think was a large bowfin trying to go upstream through 5 inches of water...that didn't last long. Before I knew it Jack was running up the shoreline of the creek and in the water trying to catch the fish. Well, the fish was pretty smart, so he just went back downstream into deep water. Oh well, it was fun for the dog, and good entertainment besides.

We hit up 2 different spots last night. Both had baitfish, both had gar snapping all over the place. Caught sheepshead at both spots. We only got flathead bites on one of them though. Difference that I can see -- the first spot where we had good action most of the night had both shallow and deep water, with lots of wood nearby, while the second spot was a larger shallower flat area with no snags. Well obviously 2 spots and 1 night doesn't quite equate to a "pattern", but it might be the start. Where is everyone else seeing success?

Hanson was nice enough to take me out on my rookie flathead trip last night. We had one that we must have hit on the head with the cast, literally 1 minute after tying up and starting and she was clicking away. Nothing big but still a respectable fish.

So, I go for my first flattie run, bury a good hookset, and I end up hooked up on a sheephead! Little later I got my first flattie, a 19lber. An average fish to many, but for me I was so pumped! So cool, so powerful!

00000037-2.jpg

Few more small ones after that, but a good time indeed.

Thanks again to Hanson!