• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heating Oil & Tank Removal

Dellfin

My family has a vacation place in Richmond on Cedar Island Lake. We're changing out the heating system from oil to propane. The 265 Gallon tank still has about 25% (70 gallons) oil remaining that we need removed.

-Best case scenario would be to have someone pay me for the oil that they pump out and take the tank.

- Worst case scenario, maybe someone will agree to take the tank if I give them the oil...?

With oil prices what they are, I'm surprised I can't find a local oil company willing to come and at least take the oil for nothing. Maybe that's not the way the real world works?

One outfit out of St Cloud I spoke with today wanted $250 to come and pump the oil, and then charge me who knows how much to remove the tank!

Any FM'ers have any advice or tips for me? Would appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

I would think some one would take the oil and you could have them pump it out.

As far as the tank goes, maybe just fill the tank with water and leave it there. Otherwise I believe that you will be paying to have it removed.

The guy I work with was just telling me today that heating oil is running somewhere around $4.19 a gallon and might come down to $4.00 next week. at that price you would think that someone would want to remove it and give you some cash.

My in laws had similar problem at a cabin in northern mn.The fuel oil was very very old and contaminated. The tank had to be drained and flushed and new fresh fuel put in . The furnace repair man took 75 gallons atleast and dropped it off at a repair shop in Cook Mn that had a waste oil heater , they where happy to get it . I had a 55 gallon drum left that was taken by the outfit who takes waste oil from the local marina shop , no charge .I used to work at a car dealerships years back and they would come and take your waste oil and pay you for it .It was only a few bucks. I would contact local car dealer or marina and find out who takes their waste oil and contact them or check with shops near by if they have waste oil burners.The tank if cleaned out should be able to drop at a dump as scrap metal

I would think some one would take the oil and you could have them pump it out.

As far as the tank goes, maybe just fill the tank with water and leave it there. Otherwise I believe that you will be paying to have it removed.

Massive NO NO on this solution.

If you want to do it legally you have to hire someone who has the certifications to do it, and then make sure you get paperwork from them indicating that the did it and where the tank was disposed of. When you go to sell the place having this info will be crucial because the loan company will require this proof.

You certainly don’t want to fill it with water. When the tank finally corrodes and starts leaking you will just have an incredible mess on your hands. A neighbor had his tank removed and the contractor spilled about 3 gallons of oil. The EPA got involved and the guy was talking about spending way over 3 grand to get it cleaned up and all the certifications. With the place being near a lake you certainly shouldn’t take this risk.

You’re going to pay by the gallon to empty the tank. It may seem foolish but it may be cheaper just to start the furnace and burn off as much as you can. The $250 worth of fuel in it could end up costing a lot more if you try to recover it without the proper setup.

Check this out: http://www.pca.state.mn.us/publications/t-u2-20.pdf

Just an update as I realize I wasn't clear in the original post that this tank is not buried beneath ground.

The tank is in the basement of the cabin and easily accessible. Reading through the info that Tom7227 provided from the PCA web site probably doesn't apply, so far as having certification, disclosure, etc., as it would if this tank were buried.

Again, anyone with additional ideas or insight as to who may want this stuff, let me know. Thanks!

craigs list comes to mind, there are people on there that are looking for somthing for nothing.

i think that you can find someone to pay 300 a gallon for it, and u take care of the tank. theyre making out with the fuel and u got rid of it. u get the tank, burn the remaining inside the tank and take it to the scrap yard.

but thats just me

Wish I lived nearby. I pump out tanks and remove them.

No I don't give any thing for the oil. If you saw all the [PoorWordUsage] in the bottom

of the tank you wouldn't either. (Nasty Stuff)

I heat my home with oil so I just take it home and burn it.

I also have to service my oil burner 4/5 times a year. (Nasty Stuff)

If you can fiend a garage owner with a wast oil burner I BET he would

be glad to take it.

Those that suggested to find someone close by that has waste oil heaters to heat there shops with is probably going to be the cheapest route for you to go with. Pump out the remaining oil and sludge yourself and take it to them. Some will even have 35 gallon containers that you can take to fill.Takes some time to carry out what is left 5 gallons at a time and dumping it into theirs.

I just had to do this a couple years back for my mothers home to convert over to lp. It takes about a day to complete. removing oil from tank, disconecting lines (have cat litter or floor dry on hand for any spills)helps on reducing the odor also, and carring out old tank.

Easiest way to go is hire it done, but as you have already found is quit pricey to have done.

Farmer

Side note: make sure that the tank will fit through door way before thinking of doing it yourself.My case was they dropped the tank in the basement then finished building house over it. Had to slowly cut tank inhalf with sawsall to remove. just a reminder.

You should have a valve on the tank and a filter right after that. You might notice the tank isn't level, the end with the valve will be a hair high. Thats so the crud stays in the low spot and doesn't continually plug the filter. If you have neighbor that burns fuel oil it be worth his time to fill up a couple 5 gal cans at a time and transfer it to his tank. Or pump it out into 55 gal drums, any pump with a suction line will do. Just don't suck it off the bottom.