• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

St Croix is back within its banks

SteveD

The St Croix water levels are coming down fast - about a half a foot a day. The river was at 679.8' this morning (675.5' is normal pool elevation). The islands are back and the campers are finding sandy beaches again. Water temp last night was 72 degrees and there is lots of fish and bait activity in the backwaters.

I picked up 2 nice channels on Monday night and a small flat last night. Last night conditions were almost perfect. I picked up a 24" walleye right away on a 5" bullhead. He was really a nice looking fish - there were a half dozen boats out chasing eyes and smallmouth - I think they need to switch to bullheads. At 8:30 pm I picked up a 26" flathead that thought he weighed about 50 lbs, he was a fun fish but just to small for photos and a KOTC entry.

I need another big fish to fill out my 3rd flathead entry but from the numbers on the board I won't waste my time on a small flat. Looks like I'm going to need 200+ points to get in the top 5. I'm after you Minnesota River guys - you are a tough act with your 6 to 10 fish nights - I'll settle for my fish here or fish there type nights as long as they are 65 to 70 points. It is catch up time.

The high water made for tough fishing - from my experience they were up in that drowned timber and across the islands and hard to target. There was a lot of grass and debris in the water and you had to work to keep your lines clear. My fishing was very slow and I got skunked most nights.

Now that the river is back in its banks the cats seem to be in predictable locations. With the water temps in the 70's fish are showing up just about anywhere. I look for bait activity and moderate current flow. My channel cat spots are back on again and I lost that bite completely during the high water - I think they really roam across that high water landscape when the water is up. I've caught a small flat on 2 of my last three trips so the flats are back in traditional spots too. The St Croix is usually a week or two behind the Minnesota River - so we should have good fishing for the next couple of weeks.

The St Croix is usually a week or two behind the Minnesota River - so we should have good fishing for the next couple of weeks.

I was just wondering that the other day. For some reason the bite seems to start from points South and West and moves East and North.

This should be a very good next week for you Steve.

If you need any help, let me know wink

[quote name='dtro If you need any help' date=' let me know wink [/quote']

It looks to me that from your lofty position on the Flathead Leader Board the last thing I need is you chasing my St Croix flats too. You have got your magic flathead thing going big time. You stay over there on the Minnesota and cool off your hot hand for a while and let us try to catch up.

I'm still trying to catch a bigger channel looking for a 1.5 pt upgrade to leapfrog you on the channel board.

It looks to me that from your lofty position on the Flathead Leader Board the last thing I need is you chasing my St Croix flats too. You have got your magic flathead thing going big time. You stay over there on the Minnesota and cool off your hot hand for a while and let us try to catch up.

I'm still trying to catch a bigger channel looking for a 1.5 pt upgrade to leapfrog you on the channel board.

Nobody said I had to fish. smile

Two more rods for you wink

[ Nobody said I had to fish. smile

Two more rods for you wink

You'd have a stroke sitting there watching somebody else fish.

Wait a minute - I tell you what - I'm beginning to like this idea - Would you bait my hooks and cast out the rods to? With your amazing luck, I might take you up on this deal. This might be the only way to catch you on the leader board.

You'd have a stroke sitting there watching somebody else fish.

You are probably right. The other night with Tom and Brian, I basically said, you guys do your thing, put you bait in the sweet spot and I'll just drop next to the boat here or toss way out.

Well about 5 fish later, (none which were mine) guess where my bullhead was swimming? grin

Tom kept claiming that I was in the sweet spot and that his spot cooled down. (even though he had at least 3 fish in the boat plus 5 missed ones), but it turns out he was fishing without bait for the past hour. That's a sportsman there -- too easy with bait, just trying to catch them with a bare hook!

Steve,

Thanks for the update on the Croix. They are biting some where's on the Croix, like they are on the MN.

Brian and Dtro, you guys are a hoot to fish with grin

Quote:
Well about 5 fish later, (none which were mine) guess where my bullhead was swimming?

grin