• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Those crazy musky guys.

Slyster

They are so funny... every time I get within around 300 feet of a boat with musky guys... you know what they do ASAP?... you do know don't you...

They immediately cast as FAR as they can right towards my boat. Why is that? I never go closer then 2x the distance they can cast. They really are a different breed. And then I proceed to cast my senko 30 feet and let it sink... smile

This muskie guy for one has taken a little different route this year......I've been throwing the bass lures too! I'll admit there are a few "quirks" associated with the muskie crowd!

I go out and commit to bass for an hour or so before thinking about muskies, especially when the bass bite is good as it has been. Pretty fun to go out and catch a 1/2 dozen fish and then switch over, that is if I switch over at all! A few of the other guys are doing the same thing and having a great time with the bass.

The chances you are going to catch a fish on your next cast regardless of where you make it are so slim sometimes you just feel like throwing at anything that moves. Or maybe they just know the bass fisherman has just come up on some baitfish and the muskie fisherman knows the muskie will be near said baitfish.

I actually do that fishing bass more, as there are some uncourteous bass fisherman who'll pull up within 50 feet if they see you catching fish. I proceed to pull a fish out from right under they're boat, they don't catch anything and proceed to leave frustrated.

Hiya -

Yeah, we can make Sybil seem well-adjusted sometimes... smile

I've been known to do the same sometimes, though usually to pontoons, jet skis and pleasure boaters more often than other anglers. I usually mean it as 'I'm casting, not fishing over the side like a worm dunker, so please give me a little elbow room.' (Although admittedly, on rare occasions, and especially with teenagers on jet skis, I mean it as 'this thing weighs 6 ounces, and has 3 5/0 hooks...take a good long look, because if you drive over my line one more time, it's coming right at your head...' )

The only time other anglers really bother me is if there's nobody around but us, and someone still feels the need to snuggle right up next to me. Or if they're watching through binoculars, or buzzing up to me, hitting a waypoint on their GPS, then roaring off. THAT makes me crazy. A few years back I was trolling for muskies and a boat pulled in behind me and started trolling the same line. Thought it was a little odd, until I got downwind and could hear 'boop - boop - boop' as the guy punched icons into his GPS while he followed my trail. (I immediately headed out to sea over open water, completely in no-man's land, and immediately caught a muskie where I'd never caught one before, and have never caught one since, on a lake I've fished for almost 20 years...a totally random fish. I bet to this day that guy really thinks he got a hot spot from me....)

To Cjac's point, I do the same, but since I'm an early morning guy I do it in reverse - fish muskies early then shift gears and fish bass.

Give the muskie guys a break - the average bass guy catches more of the fish they're fishing for in a day than muskie guys do in a season - it's tough on the psyche wink

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Those of us who are "casters" should be watching out for ourselves. Bobber watchers, trollers, and pleasure boaters are everywere. They seem to not give a rip about were you are or what you are doing, just that you are inconviencing them.

It stinks, but that is fishing.

They are probably are just peeved that they cast 800 times a day just to catch one muskie if that. I suppose I give them props for throwing out painted pieces of 2"x4"s all day.

;-)

Catching a bass on one of those 2x4s really gives the bait a different action, usually a big looping spiral. If it weren't for the bait not behaving correctly you probably wouldn't even know you had a fish on wink

Quote:
I mean it as 'this thing weighs 6 ounces, and has 3 5/0 hooks...take a good long look, because if you drive over my line one more time, it's coming right at your head...' )

I've been tempted a few times! I wish my accuracy with a Weagle casting was as good as my shotgun on ducks! They fly a loooong ways on a good cast.

Try Mille Lacs on a Fall full moon period.....crazy. Muskie and walleye guys all looking at the same areas. Best line I've heard was a buddy (who shall remain nameless) on an evening, very calmly and nicely said. "Dude, do I know you? 'Cause if you're coming that close I sure as HE-double hockey sticks better...." They quickly nodded and bailed to the port.

Fun stuff, but it makes you appreciate the little bass holes even more. I've been doing well in the Metro after work going for bass the first hour or so, catching a few, then going for muskies. I have some nice bass reports and a few tiger muskies already in the books.

Good stuff, should be doing that now, not typing!

Maybe I am old school or just plan weird grin.

I enjoy when a fellow angler rolls up next to ya. I always ask "how’s the fishing" and get a good response. Shore fishing or in the boat, I always enjoy the company of a fellow fisherman. Heck, this spring I was catching suckers on the Rum with my kids and someone was walking down by the river. He seen us catching fish, went home, got his gear and came down next to us. He was casting at first and tangled with my line. We reeled up and I cut my line and said "give me the sinker and hook back when your done, with a smile :)". We caught fish and had a blast.

Maybe I am getting soft as I get older, but I figure there are much more important things to get upset about, than a fellow fisherman coming close.

Jet skies and other pleasure craft, I have not had many issues with them close by to give an opinion on this topic.

I say have fun and enjoy the time on the water. Next thing you know, you will be in a nursing home dreaming of fishing next to a Musky guy casting at your boat while bass fishing grin. I am sure it would be not an issue then and if it did, I feel sorry for ya grin

Good luck guys!

Pretty easy to point fingers. I do a little muskie fishing and a little bass fishing and the thing that bugs me the most is is when you're working shorelines / docks / weedlines for bass, it's almost a guarantee that some other bass guy will pull in front of you, cut you off, and start working the water that you're just getting too. Funny, I have yet to see one pull in behind me. I've seen this happen every time I've been bass fishing this year .......

Over the years I have had as many bass guys jump in front of me as I have had musky guys. The only difference is musky guys are generally oblivious to my presence, the bass guys that do it are just plain eraser heads.

They are so funny... every time I get within around 300 feet of a boat with musky guys... you know what they do ASAP?... you do know don't you...

They immediately cast as FAR as they can right towards my boat. Why is that? I never go closer then 2x the distance they can cast. They really are a different breed. And then I proceed to cast my senko 30 feet and let it sink... smile

My theory...maybe a boat that spooks baitfish makes them vulnerable to a big predator...

I could give you a list of goofy stories a mile long about being crowded by other boats. I do alot of different things, depending on my mood, but it's hard to tolerate people coming closer than a cast. It happens alot up on Mille Lacs, especially on the north end sand and rock reefs,and one has to basically come to expect it, but in most waters, there's no excuse for it.

Like Rob, I have been known to heave a lure toward jet skis and speedboats who are being obnoxious. I've also been known to have words with folks who try to drive their boat "under" the area I am obviously casting. A real pet peeve is when you catch a fish, and minutes later, everyone is flocking over to you.

Keep in mind that many musky guys are "fan casting" the area around their boat. Just because you are 300 feet away and you see them casting in your direction doesn't mean you should take it personally, BUT, they may very well be telling you in a nice way to please keep your distance.

Sometimes when I get crowded, I just get up and leave. The lake has plenty of spots, and it's just not worth it. Most importantly, I always give the other guys their space. If I pull up to fish a spot and someone is already there, I just move on. When fishing an obviously crowded area such as the north end sand up on Mille Lacs, I always either try to swing wide when passing another boat, or I just quit fishing until I am past them.

Personally I dont care what I am fishing for, whether its casting or bobber fishing or jiggin or trolling. If you get too close you are getting something thrown at you.

On mille lacs last Friday we were anchored on a hump bobber fishing and a boat comes trolling past 30 feet from the boat. He got my bass jig thrown at the front of his boat twice. He gave me a look and never came back.

I mean come on, mille lacs is 100K+ acres big. Get a life.

One possible explanation is they simply want to cover that stretch of water before the boat cruises through and possibly spooks some fish. Also like Rob said, you just want to let them know you are fan casting trying to cover water and can cast that big hunk of 2X4 a long ways and would hate to see that think end up in someones neck!

Personally I dont care what I am fishing for, whether its casting or bobber fishing or jiggin or trolling. If you get too close you are getting something thrown at you.

On mille lacs last Friday we were anchored on a hump bobber fishing and a boat comes trolling past 30 feet from the boat. He got my bass jig thrown at the front of his boat twice. He gave me a look and never came back.

I mean come on, mille lacs is 100K+ acres big. Get a life.

... so does that mean you had two lines in, or did you reel up your bobber line, and then throw your bass lure, or maybe you removed your slip bobber and retied?

now thats what i call breakin' the law, man...

just teasin' ya.

My big pet peeve is the pleasure boaters who decide to cruise through the calm bays when your trying to fish docks and weedlines....last week I had a wife pulling her husband with 6 other people in the boat cruise by me at 30+ no more than 20ft. away.....almost threw me right off the boat. Then the guy lets go of the rope directly by my boat. I tend to keep my cool pretty well but I just lost it this time. Words were exchanged and I ended up telling her to open up the boating regulations and study up as they had numerous violations that I could see on the boat. I think it'd be great if C.O.'s would require violators to attend boating safety classes in order to learn the rules of the water. Theres too many people operating boats today that simply aren't rehearsed in proper rules and regulations on the water. Alright, that's my rant. wink

Jimbuck makes a good point, why does it always seem like the CO's are checking fishermen (as there are many posts about this), but i've never seen a CO chasing one of them big sport boats around. I see those speedboats coming within 20-30 feet of my boat pretty frequently, creating huge wakes, and pretty much just disturbing a peaceful day fishing... CO's don't just check fishing licenses do they?

Then you get those bass guys in their fancy Rangers going mach 1 when I'm trying to work a Jackpot on otherwise calm water wink

The real reason we like to cast at those incoming boats is to show off.....my rod is bigger than your rod - it helps us deal with other 'shortcomings'!!

I love when you are anchored up bobber fishing walleyes when here comes the guy in the warrior trolling through everybody. Especially when they are trolling lucky craft lures that dig down about 6 feet. 100 feet of rope attached to an anchor can really cause a guys rods to bend when they are going 1.7 mph. If you are reading this post, thanks for the new lures!