Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hans

Whitefish Area Muskies

6 posts in this topic

We are putting together a bachelor party for a buddy and will be staying a weekend on Whitefish Chain. The groom to be has expressed his wish to try fishing muskies. What are the closest lakes to Whitefish that would have a reasonable chance of seeing or catching a few muskies? Thanks.

Best bets are going to be Alexander, Cedar or Mille Lacs. The river is always a very good option as well.

I have seen many in Clamshell on the bottom of the chain. Used to stay up there in a cabin every summer a few years ago. Key is to use a snoopy pole and crawler off the dock. Seen about 2 monsters lost this way. North of the islands on the NE side of Clamshell. If not muskies they were very large pike.

probably cedar, wabedo, lttle boy chain would also be a good bet.

later,

toddb

Appreciate the feedback guys. Here is some more info just to further paint the picture...I usually fish walleyes but being the “research guy” of the group they put it on me to find a lake to try to see a couple muskies. The only musky I personally have ever seen was one my girlfriend caught while bobber fishing walleyes on Mille Lacs, so I really don’t expect to catch one myself just on one weekend trip. The groom and a couple guys in the wedding party however are hardcore musky guys and seem to know what they are doing as the last few weekends they have each boated a couple (nice pics) and it sounds like they see a decent number also. We would have 3-4 boats and all boats are deep at least 17 foot so big water wouldn’t be a problem. I am familiar with both Leech and Mille Lacs but was trying to find something a bit smaller and closer to the cabin on Whitefish in case the bottle bass are biting better for those guys and somebody gets seasick, or sick of casting (possibly me-haha!). The rest of the weekend we will be looking for walleyes on Whitefish. I have never been on whitefish so any suggestions there would also be appreciated. Thanks again.

The closest lakes to the Whitefish Chain are to your north. The Longville Lakes have muskies in them, although they are not necessarily easy to catch!

For action, I would try Baby. It has a good population of smaller fish that typically have a better attitude. Others that have Musky are Wabedo, Little Boy, Mann, Woman, and Inguadona.

Good luck,

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• I was out last night on a local lake and was surprised to see the water temp down to 57.  Caught a couple cookie cutter fish, but not the big ones I was looking for. Fished a lot of weeds in the 6-9ft range, but not a lot going on there. The biggest one was still shallow in some reeds, so not sure if we are still in the spawn/post spawn stage.     Whats everyone else seeing out there for a bite and fishing conditions. Big weekend coming up, Good luck!! 
    • Maxine_Partain, Welcome to the forum.  There seem to be a lot of folks from Canada joining up in the last half a year which is nice. The sad thing is they all seem to make about 3 posts on the same day they joined and then they never come back which is sad. Hopefully you will keep posting.
    •   Hazel Hain, Welcome to the forum.  There seem to be a lot of folks from Canada joining up in the last half a year which is nice. The sad thing is they all seem to make about 3 posts on the same day they joined and then they never come back which is sad. Hopefully you will keep posting.
    • hi and welcome to HSO. I think you mean double hung not double pane. if you have moisture between the panes you have a seal failure. depending on the brand you might be able to just replace the glass. If you have lots of rot you may need to do a complete replacement. Best to have a window person pop by and check out the situation. 
    • Some times it's just nice getting out of town and when your with the right people a wet weekend can still be fun. This weekend should be better!
    • Cool story! 
    • Reb's old girlfriend might have had a diaphragm, but you would find that one in the lower unit - not in the carburetor...
    • Most of the homeowner's expense comes from heating and cooling inside a home. Double pane windows have gasses like argon or krypton filled to displace the air between the panels. But the problem is when this leaks from the window panes and settles down at the bottom. 1) The main problem that would arise is condensation. The moisture level goes high thus causing mold, mildew and rotting wood sills. 2) If the gas leaks, the window will not provide better insulation. 3) The windows start to make squeaky sounds thus it is hard to close and open. 4) It also affects the stripping to loose. I live here in Canada. In our house, we have double pane windows in almost all the rooms. Now I could see that some of the windows to be in a foggy condition. Will it be due to the gas in the window panes? Should I need to replace the windows? I have heard that casement windows.are good compared to double pane windows. I would like to know the benefits of casement windows. Will it cut down my utility bills? Please do share your thoughts and valuable suggestions. Thanks for the time.
    • We spent last weekend in the camper, holed up hiding from the rain. Not the worst thing ever, but a hike would've been nice. Hopefully we'll have better weather over Memorial Day. It looks good now so I'm excited. 
    • I am in a confusion on which one to choose. I have anyways decided to separate the bath area from the toilet. Which one would be better? I don't have enough area in the bathroom. One of my friends said that when it comes to energy efficiency and water conservation, a quick shower virtually always beats a bath. Is it true??   Although it is good for relaxing and ideal for bathing small children, I think it will be difficult for older people and people with injuries to get in and out. When it comes to the case of water heaters also I think it will be difficult to fill the tub. I think all these issues can be sorted out using a shower. Showers always need only less water. But if there is any leak, it will be difficult to fix.   I personally prefer bathtubs. Although it has many disadvantages compared to showers, the relaxation and freshness we get after bathing in a tube are very different. What is your opinion? Based on your opinion, I want to fix my decision and approach a plumbing company for installing it. Feel free to share your thoughts.
  • Our Sponsors