• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weekend Pike Report

cjac

I was at the family cabin doing chores but got out a couple times to troll with the Mrs for some pike.

Hands down the bait of choice was an iridesent purple glass Fat Rap, pretty specific but at 11-0 compared to the other line it was clearly the lure of choice. I tried different purple baits, different Fat Raps, but all the action came off the now chewed up bait. Nothing big, couple pushing 5lbs, but it was the first consistent pike bite I've had thus far this year.

Equip: #7 Purple glass Fat Rap, Berkley cross-lok snap, #12lb mono and fluoro, on a traditional crank rod with Shimano Citica 5.0:1 ratio reels. Prettly simple. Water was high and stained, as the lake is part of a river system, fish were in 11-16 fow. Fish were healthy looking, nice and stout.

Any other reports? Oh yeah, I lost a big one too....couple ice bonus smallies to boot.

We picked up some decent pike trolling on our lake last weekend as well. It's the first time trolling for them has worked this year; it's normally a sure thing in the 16-20' range on outer weed edge.

Lure of choice for us for some reason was both the regular and deeper diving X-raps. Black/Gold/Orange color.

Been doing lots of trolling this past week. Stayed close to 12-16' and the lures with the most strikes are Storm Hot'N'Tots, any colors as long as they're metal and reflect light well (Gold, silver). Bigger fish have been hitting Cowgirl Jr's well, and I feel like the Cowgirl does very well attracting fish, as the person closest to it always catches the most fish (6 two nights ago, 4 tonight, while both times the rest of the group caught 2-3 total).

got a 36'' on a slopmaster re-tied with a hybrid of white/white bucktail/angora rabbit wool. gave me a nice gash on my wrist about 10 seconds after this pic. i'll heal.

7' 2'' IM8 guide series,30lb. spiderwire, solid titanium leader, aformentioned spinnerbait, in 9 feet or so off a secret point. ( note the live well is open to let him rest and for transport away from secret spot for pics grin ) no really it was by the island cluster above the boomsite, directly in the current funneled between two of them. good luck

note: the net was not used to protect that pretty tail and fins. i only moved it to get the livewell open. have no idea why that top fin was split. must have been like that mad

Sedona-Minneapolis-Maine-2005063.jpg

I got a 38" pike on Tonka this weekend on a bionic bucktail spinner. I was muskie fishing so I was not all that excited, but my cousin, pointed out that it was a very good metro pike. I caught three pike on three casts, until a pleasure boater cut within 30 yards of us right over where I was catching the fish. No fish after they drove by. Not a bad day. I also had a pike hit a 10" double cowgirl.

After multiple posts about using oversized spinner baits for bigger pike, I was at a loss as to why I couldn't get hit on one yesterday.

As a passenger on the beer barge yesterday, the one without a working depth finder, I managed to change enough baits on the rod I threw out the back until I got to the Magnum Rapala in silver/black.

1st fish: 37" musky

2nd fish: Felt like the same thing but got off

3rd fish: 3lb pike

4th fish: 'nother 3lb pike

Oh, and whole bunch of weeds.......

Trolled at 1200 rpm on a Johnson 115 four stroke pushing a 20 foot pontoon. They all think I'm nuts. grin

BTW, Tropyeyes, that IS a nice metro pike!

Hey, was this caught with your Shimano 250TE/DC ? I bit the bullet this week and ordered one (lets hear it for Gov. Stimulus Rebates) and cannot wait to try her out. What line do you favor? Thanks !!! P.S.Nice Fish !!!!

I am now kicking myself for not taking a picture of the 38", but it would not even crack my top 50 so I didn't think much of it. I go pike fishing in Canada almost every year and 42"-45" pike are expected. It was a nice healthy fish.

Originally Posted By: Wanderer
They all think I'm nuts. grin

Thats just what they say when you are around. You should here what they say when you are not. gringrin

Hopefully nothing!

But I'm sure I'm not that lucky............ grin

Here's a pic. Never mind the girth of the holder. whistle

The4thof2008017-1.jpg

And the damage... I thought it was just me that was fuzzy, not the camera. Sorry, but you get the idea anyway.

The4thof2008018-1.jpg