Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lucy1205

Sense of smell

3 posts in this topic

The olfaction (sense of smell) of a Muskies is not as Good as a Catfish, but better than a trout.

Do they use it? sure, but I would not consider it to be all that super important.

Vibrations and sight I would rank as being much more important.

Brian Kaiser

Hiya -

I really think scent is a pretty small factor with muskies. Pike are a different story, but after years of dorking around with scents of various kinds, I really don't think it matters much with muskies. As far as something like a magic marker, in order for scent to be detected at all it has to be water-soluble in the first place, so it probably won't matter much either way. I used to be a lot more hung up on color than I am now too, and I kept a bunch if spraypaint and markers in the boat for coloring lures. I'd hold a bait over the side of the boat, blast it with a can of spray paint, wave it around for a minute to dry, and catch fish on it a few minutes later. (I also drove around in a red lund with orange, pink, silver, black, green, chartreuse and white freckles back then - I wasn't too careful about overspray smile )

Cheers,

Rob Kimm