• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Name recognition

Ralph Wiggum

When I picked out my dog I was at a girl friends parents house. She drove me back from bar late one night. She said she her parents dog had pups, and they were probably hiding in the barn. I hadn't never saw any of them before that night.

We shine the headlights of the car into the barn, I get out of the car and say "Brutus Come". A 7 week old pup comes barreling out of the barn at full spead to me. I grabbed a stick on the ground and threw it 10 or 15 feet he retrieved it and brought it right back.

So I have to say a good dog should know its name before you ever meet it.

This is a true story.

Whats his name? If it has too many sylables that can be difficult for them to understand. Emphasize one sylable... preferable the first. Many dogs with long names will only really recognize one syllable as their name.

Also if you call your dog other things then his name he may not know what to respond to.

There may not be enough reinforcement of his name. Limit the amount of words you use when talking to your dog and say its name more often.

Dogs speak with each other through only a handful of sounds... Growls, soft barks, load barks, whines and wimpers. A dogs name can mean alot of things depending on your tone of voice.

If he has heel down at 12 weeks he obviously doing quite well. It will come with time.